"Wesmen" is the name of the sports teams of the University of Winnipeg, which is located in Winnipeg, Manitoba. The University was founded in 1967 when United College received its charter. United College was formed in 1938 with the merger of Manitoba College (established 1871) and Wesley College (established 1888). They are members of the Canada West Universities Athletic Association (CWUAA) and U Sports (formerly known as CIS). They no longer compete in the hockey league.
The Winnipeg Wesmen hockey team started play in the WCIAA in the 1968-69 season. In 1972-73 the WCIAA split in two and the Wesmen joined Lakehead University, the University of Manitoba, and Brandon University as founding members of the Great Plains Athletic Conference (GPAC). They were joined by the University of Regina in 1976-77.
The Winnipeg Wesmen program folded following the 1983-84 season. For a YouTube video see the link for Iced: The Lost History of Hockey at The University of Winnipeg.
|1971-72 WCIAA||20||10||10||0||92||108||20||E 1st|
1972 Playoffs Sudden-Death Semi-Final Calgary Dinosaurs 6 Winnipeg Wesmen 5
This was the only playoff game played by the Winnipeg Wesmen.
- Alberta Golden Bears
- Calgary Dinosaurs
- Lethbridge Pronghorns
- Manitoba Bisons
- Mount Royal Cougars
- Regina Cougars
- Saskatchewan Huskies
- UBC Thunderbirds
- Canada West Universities Athletic Association
- List of CWUAA Seasons (from 1972-73 to present)
- Great Plains Athletic Conference
- List of GPAC Seasons (from 1972-73 to 1984-85)
- List of WCIAA Seasons (from 1962-63 to 1971-72)
- List of WCIAU Seasons (from 1918-19 to 1961-62)
- Ontario University Athletics
- RSEQ (formerly Quebec Student Sports Federation)
- Quebec-Ontario Athletic Association (with seasons from 1954 to 1971)
- List of OUA Seasons (includes CIAU, QOAA & OUAA)
- List of QOAA Seasons (from 1954 to 1971)
- Ontario Intercollegiate Athletic Association (with seasons from 1965 to 1971)
- Ottawa St. Lawrence Conference (with seasons from 1951 to 1971)
- List of QUAA Seasons (from 1971-72 to 1986-87)
- List of Intermediate Intercollegiate Seasons (from 1902-03 to 1938-39)
- Ontario-Quebec Intermediate Intercollegiate series (from 1902-03 to 1934-35)
- Senior Intercollegiate League (1945-46)
- International Intercollegiate League (from 1936-37 to 1939-40)
- West Point Weekend