"Mariners" is the name of the sports teams from Vancouver Island University (VIU), located in Nanaimo, British Columbia. VIU started as Malaspina College in 1969. It became Malaspina University College in 1988 and finally Vancouver Island University in 2008. The Mariners' first season in the British Columbia Intercollegiate Hockey League (BCIHL) was in 2017-18.
In other sports, VIU is a member of the Pacific West Athletic Association (PWAA), also referred to as "Pac West", and formerly known as the "British Columbia Colleges Athletic Association" (BCCAA). The PWAA is affiliated with the Canadian Colleges Athletic Association (CCAA). Neither the PWAA nor the CCAA operate a hockey competition. The Wikia records for the CCAA are sparse and there are none for the BCCAA. The only CCAA-affiliated conference with a hockey program is the Alberta Colleges Athletic Conference (ACAC).
Season-by-Season Records TableEdit
|2020 BCIHL||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||Event cancelled prior to starting|
- Note: From 2012-13 onwards the top 4 teams qualified for best-of-three semi-finals and all regular season games were decided by overtime or shootout.
- Selkirk College Saints (PWAA - CCAA)
- Simon Fraser Clan (GNAC - NCAA)
- Trinity Western Spartans (CWUAA - CIS)
- Vancouver Island Mariners (PWAA - CCAA)
- Victoria Vikings (CWUAA - CIS)
- Eastern Washington Eagles (2012-2018) (Big Sky - NCAA)