|Born||July 29, 1990,|
Fergus, ON, CAN
|6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
205 lb (93 kg; 14 st 9 lb)
|NHL team (P)
|Tampa Bay Lightning|
Syracuse Crunch (AHL)
San Jose Sharks
|NHL Draft||119th overall, 2010|
Tye McGinn (born July 29, 1990) is a Canadian professional ice hockey left winger who currently plays for the Tampa Bay Lightning of the National Hockey League (NHL). He is the younger brother of Jamie McGinn and older brother of Brock McGinn.
McGinn was drafted in the fourth round (119th overall) of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft by the Philadelphia Flyers. After his third season of playing in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League for the Gatineau Olympiques, he signed a three-year entry level contract with the Flyers on July 14, 2011. McGinn made his NHL debut on January 22, 2013 against the New Jersey Devils. His first goal was scored 2 games later, on January 26, 2013, against Jose Theodore of the Florida Panthers.
On February 16, 2014, McGinn was involved in a hockey brawl with Connor Murphy and the Portland Pirates. McGinn repeatedly punched Murphy at center ice of the Androscoggin Bank Colisee. He was ejected and immediately charged with a fighting major.
On July 2, 2014, McGinn was traded by the Flyers to the San Jose Sharks in exchange for a third round pick in the 2015 NHL Entry Draft. McGinn made the Sharks opening night roster for the 2014–15 season. After 32 games with the Sharks on March 2, 2015 McGinn was claimed off waivers by the Arizona Coyotes.
On July 21, 2015, the Tampa Bay Lightning announced the signing of forward McGinn to a one-year, two-way contract. McGinn skated in 51 games in the NHL in 2014-15, between the San Jose Sharks and the Arizona Coyotes, posting two goals and seven points. McGinn has appeared in 87 career NHL games over three seasons, recording nine goals and 17 points to go along with 44 penalty minutes. McGinn has also skated in 163 career AHL games over three seasons, collecting 46 goals and 79 points.
On June 28, 2016, the Lightning re-signed McGinn to a one-year, two-way contract. McGinn played in two games with the team last season. McGinn also appeared in 72 games with the Syracuse Crunch last season, scoring 20 goals and 44 points. He ranked third on the Crunch for points and goals.
|2014–15||San Jose Sharks||NHL||32||1||4||5||11||—||—||—||—||—|
|2015–16||Tampa Bay Lightning||NHL||2||0||0||0||0||—||—||—||—||—|
- "Flyers Sign Tye McGinn to Entry-Level Contract", Philadelphia Flyers, July 14, 2011. Retrieved on January 13, 2013.
- Tim Panaccio (January 22, 2013). Flyers fall to Devils, off to worst start since 1994-95. CSNPhilly.com. Retrieved on January 23, 2013.
- "Flyers rout struggling Panthers". National Hockey League (2013-01-26). Retrieved on 2013-01-26.
- "Sharks acquire Tye McGinn from Philadelphia". San Jose Sharks (2014-07-02). Retrieved on 2014-07-02.
- "Tye McGinn claimed off waivers by Arizona Coyotes". Mercury News (2015-03-02). Retrieved on 2015-03-02.
- Tampa Bay, Lightning (July 21, 2015). Lightning Sign Forward Tye McGinn to One-Year Contract. Tampa Bay Lightning. Retrieved on July 21, 2015.
- Tampa Bay, Lightning (June 28, 2016). Lightning Re-Sign Forward Tye McGinn, Defenseman Matt Taromina to One-Year Contracts. Tampa Bay Lightning. Retrieved on June 29, 2016.