|City:||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|League:||Greater Metro Junior A Hockey League|
|Home Arena:||Canlan IceSports York|
|General Manager:||Robert Turnbull|
|Head Coach:||Robert Turnbull|
History[edit | edit source]
The Toronto Predators joined the GMHL as an expansion franchise in February 2013. Founded by Allan Donnan, the Predators call the historic Maple Leaf Gardens (now known as Mattamy Athletic Center) home.
The Predators played their first game on September 7, 2013, at home, against the Orangeville Americans. Hockey Hall of Famers Ken Dryden and Darryl Sittler, and singer John McDermott did the opening puck drop, as the Americans won the game 4–2. Mitch Hebert scored the first goal in team history, just five seconds into the game, while goaltender Marc Villeneuve made 49 saves in a losing effort. On September 28, 2013, Robin Bonvin scored in overtime to give the Predators their first franchise victory. Playing on home ice, Marc Villeneuve made 58 saves in net, against the Knights of Meaford, in the 3–2 victory. Mitch Hebert scored a franchise record four goals on October 27, 2013, against the Powassan Eagles. Hebert was the first Predator to notch a hat trick.
After their inaugural season the Predators were taken over by Robert Turnbull. A longtime Hamilton Red Wings (1999–2014) general manager and team president, Turnbull took over from previous owner Allan Donnan (who owns Toronto Attack).
Season-by-season standings[edit | edit source]
|Season||GP||W||L||OL||GF||GA||Pts||Regular Season Finish||Playoffs|
|2013–14||42||5||34||3||91||247||13||18th of 20, GMHL||Lost Qualifier Round|
|2014–15||42||10||28||4||128||300||24||9th South Div.||Lost Div. Semi-finals|
|2015–16||42||20||21||1||157||164||41||6th South Div.||Lost Div. Semi-finals|
|2016–17||42||19||17||6||174||201||44||7th South Div.||Lost Div. Quarter-finals|
|2017–18||42||13||25||4||167||258||30||9th South Div.||Lost Div. Quarter-finals|
|2018–19||42||11||28||3||154||219||25||11th South Div.||Lost Preliminary Round|
|2019–20||42||8||32||2||117||229||18||10th South Div.||Lost Division Semifinals|
Alumni[edit | edit source]
- Robin Bonvin (2013-14) - Iowa State University (ACHA Division 1)
- Dmitri Tatarchenkov (2013-14) - Khimik Voskresensk (MHL)
- Grant Palmer (2013-14) - Sault College (ACHA Division 3)
- Richard Brown (2014-15) - Solent Devils- (NIHL)
- Stephen Midensky (2015-16) - Ryerson University (CIS), Québec Ramparts (QMJHL)
- Lukas Samuelsson (2016-17) - Western Michigan University (NCAA Division 1)
- Miles Levtov (2016-17) - Rochester College (ACHA Division 1)
References[edit | edit source]
- Predators Join GMHL: Call Maple Leaf Gardens Home (28 February 2013).
- Victim of Maple Leaf Gardens abuse reclaims building through new Predators hockey team (6 September 2013).
- Stuckless victim returns with hockey team to 'take back' Gardens 27 (6 September 2013).
- Abuse survivor returns to Maple Leaf Gardens (7 September 2013).
- Game Information (7 September 2013).
- Game Information (28 September 2013).
- Game Information (27 October 2013).
- Turnbull brings wealth of experience to Predators (2 June 2014).