|5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)|
155 lb (70 kg)
|Hockey East Team||Providence|
|Born||May 17, 1985,|
Albuquerque, New Mexico
|Pro Career||1999 – 2007|
Sonny Watrous is a former ice hockey player for the Providence Friars women's ice hockey program.
Playing career[edit | edit source]
From 1999 to 2003, Watrous attended Rocky Mountain District Camp.
NAHA[edit | edit source]
Watrous played at the North American Hockey Academy in Stowe, Vermont from 2000-03. In the NAHA, she registered 70 goals and added 96 assists in 144 games. In 2002-03, she was the team captain at NAHA. In 2001-02, she was the Most Valuable Player at NAHA. She repeated the feat the following season. In all three seasons at NAHA, she was top scorer.
NCAA[edit | edit source]
Watrous was recognized as the 2003-04 Hockey East Rookie of the Year. On October 23, 2004, Watrous opened the Hockey East season by scoring both Providence goals in a 2-1 triumph over the Vermont Catamounts. The following day, she contributed one goal and added two assists in a 5-0 win. On November 25, 2005, Watrous led Providence to a 2-0 week as she contributed to six of the Friars eight goals on the weekend. Watrous added six points on two goals and four assists against Ivy League opponents Yale and Brown. In 2005-06, she had a career high 40 points (19 goals, 21 assists). Watrous scored a season-high four points (one goal, three assists) in the 5-3 win over Brown in the 2006 Mayor's Cup. On February 11, 2006, she became the 27th Friars player to reach the century mark in points.
USA Hockey[edit | edit source]
She attended Jr. National Camp in Lake Placid 2001-03. Watrous was invited to the 2004 United States Women's Festival. She was a member of the 2004 United States Under 22 team.
Awards and honors[edit | edit source]
- Sonny Watrous, Hockey East Rookie of the Year, 2004
- Sonny Watrous, 2004 HOCKEY EAST All-Rookie Team
- Sonny Watrous, 2004 HOCKEY EAST All-Tournament Team
- Sonny Watrous, Named HOCKEY EAST Player of the Week (1/19/04)
- Sonny Watrous, Three time HOCKEY EAST Rookie of the Week (2/2/04, 3/15/04, 3/22/04)
- Sonny Watrous, HOCKEY EAST Rookie of the Month (3/2/04)
- Sonny Watrous, HOCKEY EAST Player of the Week Honors (10/25/04
, 1/10/05, 11/28/05)
- Sonny Watrous, 2005 HOCKEY EAST All-Tournament Team
- Sonny Watrous, 2005 All-Hockey East team, Honorable Mention 
- North American Hockey Academy Hall of Fame
- Providence 2007 Women's Ice Hockey 7th Player Award
- Paul Connolly Award in 2007
Personal[edit | edit source]
Watrous currently works as an instructor for the Digit Murphy Hockey School at Brown University.
References[edit | edit source]