|Scott D. Malkin|
|Born||Scott David Malkin|
|Education||B.A. Harvard College|
J.D. Harvard Law School
M.B.A. Harvard Business School
|Known for||founder of Value Retail Plc|
|Spouse(s)||Laura Rice Russell|
|Parents||Isabel Wien Malkin|
Peter L. Malkin
Early life and education
Malkin was born to a Jewish family, the son of Isabel (née Wien) and Peter L. Malkin. His father is a real estate investor in New York who owned the Empire State Building. His grandfather, Lawrence Wien, was also a real estate investor who pioneered the real estate syndication. He was raised in Connecticut and received degrees from Harvard College, Harvard Law School and Harvard Business School.
In 1990, Malkin sold his retail store concept, 2 Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, California to the Japanese department store operator Sogo and then moved to London where in 1992, he founded Value Retail Plc. With Value Retail, he leveraged his experience in selling luxury goods and meshed it with the American outlet mall concept creating an alternative operating model to the traditional European shopping center. Value Retail focused on establishing outlet centers in the outskirts of large cities. The fashion brands pay 12.5 per cent of annual turnover for the privilege of selling excess stock in one of their village outlet centers. Although criticized for taking business from smaller retail stores in urban centers, the outlet centers only sell brand name goods that are a year old or older. As of 2014, Value Retail had nine "villages" in Europe near London, Milan, Munich, Dublin, Barcelona, Madrid, Paris, Brussels, Antwerp, Cologne, Düsseldorf, and Frankfurt. He is expanding to China in 2015 with two new villages in Suzhou and Shanghai. By 2011, Value Retail had $1.5 billion in sales.
New York Islanders
In 1984, he married Laura Rice Russell. His sister, Cynthia Allison Malkin, is married to Richard Blumenthal who was elected as a United States Senator of Connecticut in 2011.
- Leibensmittel Zeitung: "Talk with Value Retail Chairman Scott Malkin" by Mike Dawson April 22, 2010
- ESPN: "NHL approves Islanders sale" By Katie Strang October 1, 2014
- New York Times: "Scott Malkin, founder of Value Retail Plc" March 10, 2009
- Value Retail website: "The Villages" retrieved October 24, 2014
- Forbes: "Value Retail's Scott Malkin and Father, Malkin Holdings' Peter Malkin: Is Entrepreneurship Inherited?" May 6, 2011
- Newsday: "Islanders' sale from Charles Wang to Jonathan Ledecky, Scott Malkin finalized" By NEIL BEST October 9, 2014
- John Shannon's Power 25: 2018 Edition. Sportsnet. Retrieved on April 23, 2018.
- New York Times: "S.D. Malkin, Miss Russell Plan to Wed" January 22, 1984
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Scott D. Malkin. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Ice Hockey Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|