|Born||May 11, 1995,|
|6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
196 lb (89 kg; 14 st 0 lb)
|NHL team (P)
Stockton Heat (AHL)
Toronto Maple Leafs
|NHL Draft||68th overall, 2014|
Toronto Maple Leafs
Rinat Valiev (born May 11, 1995) is a Russian professional ice hockey defenceman who is currently playing for the Stockton Heat of the American Hockey League (AHL) while under contract to the Calgary Flames of the National Hockey League (NHL). Valiev was selected in the third round (68th overall) of the 2014 NHL Entry Draft by the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Playing career[edit | edit source]
Valiev was selected in the 1st round (3rd overall) of the 2012 KHL Junior Draft by Ak Bars Kazan. After parts of two seasons with junior affiliate, Bars Kazan, he relocated to North America and played the 2012–13 season with the Indiana Ice of the United States Hockey League.
After his draft selection to the Maple Leafs, Valiev was promptly signed to a three-year entry-level contract on July 10, 2014. Following his second season within the Kootenay Ice organization of the Western Hockey League, Valiev made his professional debut at the conclusion of the 2014–15 season, playing in 2 games with the Maple Leafs AHL affiliate, the Toronto Marlies.
During the 2015–16 season, behind the back of enjoying a solid season in his return to the Marlies, Valiev received his first NHL recall on March 11, 2016. He made his NHL debut with the Maple Leafs in a 4-0 defeat to the Ottawa Senators on March 12, 2016.
On February 25, 2018, one day before the trade deadline, Valiev was traded by the Maple Leafs, alongside teammate Kerby Rychel and a second-round pick in 2018 NHL Entry Draft to the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for Tomáš Plekanec and minor league forward Kyle Baun. On May 31, Valiev signed a one-year, two-way contract extension with the Canadiens.
Career statistics[edit | edit source]
Regular season and playoffs[edit | edit source]
|2015–16||Toronto Maple Leafs||NHL||10||0||0||0||0||—||—||—||—||—|
|Competitor for Russia|
|World Junior Championships|
International[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- SKA Picks Alexandrov as No. 1 in KHL Draft. RIA Novosti (August 9, 2012). Retrieved on August 9, 2012.
- Rinat Valiev - The Next Ones: 2013 NHL Draft Prospect Profile (June 25, 2013). Retrieved on June 25, 2013.
- Defenseman Rinat Valiev signed to entry-level contract. Toronto Maple Leafs (July 10, 2014). Retrieved on July 10, 2014.
- Valiev the ninth Maple Leaf to make NHL debut this season. CTV News (March 11, 2016). Retrieved on March 11, 2016.
- "Maple Leafs get clocked by Senators", March 12, 2016. Retrieved on March 12, 2018.
- Plekanec traded to Toronto in exchange for a draft pick and two prospects (February 25, 2018). Retrieved on February 25, 2018.
- Canadiens agree to terms with Rinat Valiev (May 31, 2018). Retrieved on May 31, 2018.
- Flames acquire Valiev, Taormina from Montreal (1 October 2018). Retrieved on 1 October 2018.
[edit | edit source]
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Rinat Valiev. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Ice Hockey Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|