The North Dakota Fighting Sioux women’s ice hockey team plays for the University of North Dakota. The team is one of the members of the Western Collegiate Hockey Association (WCHA) and competes in the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) in the Division I tier.
On March 29, 2017; the University of North Dakota announced that the school is cutting the women's ice hockey program effective the end of the 2016-17 academic year. The reason stated was a $1.3 million budget shortfall due to the school attempting to meet minimum standards of the Summit League which most of the school's athletic teams are moving to for 2017-18. The men's and women's swimming and diving programs were also cut at the school. The school announced UND will honor all athletic scholarships for the discontinued sports “at their present equivalencies for returning student-athletes.
On June 14, 2018 a class action law suit was filed by eleven former members of the women's ice hockey team against the university citing that they violated Title IX through the selection of sports and level of competition. The claimants are hoping to work out something to restore women's hockey at the school and are not seeking any financial damages outside of court costs.
Year by yearEdit
|2006-07||3||31||2||Shantel Rivard and Dennis Miller|
Awards and honorsEdit
- Jorid Dagfinrud, WCHA Defensive Player of the Week (Week of October 5, 2009)
- Mary Loken, WCHA Rookie of the Week (Week of January 4, 2010)
- ↑ https://www.uscho.com/2018/06/14/north-dakota-facing-lawsuit-from-former-womens-hockey-players-who-want-program-reinstated/
- ↑ http://www.uscho.com/stats/teamYxY.php/north-dakota-fighting-sioux/womens-college-hockey/team,und/gender,w.html
- ↑ http://www.wcha.com/sports/w-hockey/spec-rel/100709aaa.html
- ↑ http://www.wcha.com/sports/w-hockey/spec-rel/010610aad.html
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at North Dakota Fighting Sioux women's ice hockey. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Ice Hockey Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|