|Born||August 18, 1992,|
New Hartford, New York, U S.
|6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
209 lb (95 kg; 14 st 13 lb)
Michael Zalewski (born August 18, 1992) is an American professional ice hockey player. He is currently under contract with the Vienna Capitals of the Austrian Hockey League (EBEL). Zalewski previously played with the Vancouver Canucks of the National Hockey League (NHL).
As a youth, Zalewski played in the 2005 Quebec International Pee-Wee Hockey Tournament with a minor ice hockey team from Syracuse, New York. He later played one season with the Syracuse Stars of the Eastern Junior Hockey League.
Zalewski was drafted 122nd overall by the Youngstown Phantoms in the USHL entry draft, but did not sign with the team. This was followed by two seasons in British Columbia with the Vernon Vipers of the BCHL. He committed to playing Division I college hockey for the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in 2010 while playing with the Vipers. After leaving the BCHL following the 2011–12 season, Zalewski attended the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute where he played two seasons (2012–14) of NCAA Division I hockey with the RPI Engineers, registering 21 goals, 26 assists, 47 points, and 75 penalty minutes in 71 games. In his freshman season, he led all first year players on the team with 21 points as he helped the Engineers qualify for the ECAC Hockey Quarterfinals.
On March 14, 2014, the Vancouver Canucks of the NHL signed Zalewski as a free agent to an entry-level contract. On April 12, 2014, Zalewski made his NHL debut, skating 11:47 with the Vancouver Canucks in a 5-2 loss to the Edmonton Oilers.
On July 8, 2015, with Zalewski unable to retain an NHL contract with the Canucks, he opted to remain within the organization by signing a one-year AHL contract with the Utica Comets, an affiliate.
On January 20, 2016, Zalewski signed a two-way, one year NHL contract with the Vancouver Canucks and was recalled the same day.
As a free agent, Zalewski left the Canucks' organization after three full seasons, signing a one-year deal abroad with a German outfit, the Straubing Tigers of the DEL, on July 17, 2017. In doing so, he linked up with his brother Steven, who had become a member of the Tigers two years previously. In the 2017–18 season, Zalewski made a seamless transition to the DEL, contributing on the Tigers scoring line with 14 goals and 31 points in 51 games.
On August 22, 2019, Zalewski moved to the neighbouring Austrian Hockey League, agreeing to a one-year contract with the Vienna Capitals.
One of Zalewski's brothers, Steven, plays professional hockey as well, including time with both New Jersey and San Jose of the NHL. Another brother, Rich, played professionally in the Southern Hockey League. One of his sisters, Annika, plays college hockey for Colgate.
|2005–06||New Hartford High||USHS||3||0||1||1||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|2006–07||New Hartford High||USHS||23||7||8||15||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|2007–08||New Hartford High||USHS||24||23||27||50||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|2008–09||New Hartford High||USHS||23||36||30||66||—||—||—||—||—||—|
Awards and honors
|New York High School Player of the Year||2008–09|||
|CJHL Doyle Cup Champion||2010–11|||
|RBC Cup Champion||2010–11|||
- Pee-Wee players who have reached NHL or WHA (2018).
- "New Hartford hockey star Zalewski commits to RPI", Observer-Dispatch, November 16, 2010. Retrieved on February 18, 2019.
- https://www.newmindit.com, New Mind Development. "USHL Draft Results | Amateur Hockey News | May 19, 2010", the Inside Word. (en)
- Mike Zalewski.
- MIKE ZALEWSKI. Retrieved on February 18, 2019.
- RPI's Mike Zalewski Signs with Vancouver Canucks. SB Nation College Hockey (2014-03-14). Retrieved on 2014-03-20.
- Oilers 5, Canucks 2. Global Post (2014-04-12). Retrieved on 2014-04-12.
- Zalewski returns to the Comets. Utica Comets (2015-07-08). Archived from the original on July 14, 2015. Retrieved on 2015-07-08.
- Canucks Sign & Recall Zalewski. Utica Comets (2016-01-20). Archived from the original on January 27, 2016. Retrieved on 2016-01-20.
- Mike Zalewski signs with Straubing Tigers (German). Straubing Tigers (2017-07-17). Retrieved on 2017-07-17.
- KEC signs Mike Zalewski (German). Kölner Haie (2018-07-05). Retrieved on 2018-07-05.
- Capitals sign Mike Zalewski from Cologne. Vienna Capitals (August 22, 2019). Retrieved on August 22, 2019.
- "Brothers Mike and Steve Zalewski bridge hockey generation gap as teammates with Utica Comets", syracuse.com. (en-US)
- Moshier, Ron. "Ex-Spartans not surprised by Frozen Four return", Uticaod. (en)
- Delaney, Anne. "Hockey journey reunites Zalewski siblings", Uticaod. (en)
- "Hockey's Future - Michael Zalewski", Hockey's Future. (en-US)
- Elite Prospects - Award - BCHL Champion.
- Biographical information and career statistics from NHL.com, or Eliteprospects.com, or ESPN.com, or Eurohockey.com, or Hockey-Reference.com, or The Internet Hockey Database
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Mike Zalewski. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Ice Hockey Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|