|Born|| 8 September 1990,|
| 6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
194 lb (88 kg; 13 st 12 lb)
| NHL team|
| Washington Capitals|
HK 36 Skalica
HC Kometa Brno
HC Slavia Praha
|Ntl. team||Czech Republic|
Michal Kempný (born 8 September 1990) is a Czech professional ice hockey defenceman for the Washington Capitals of the National Hockey League (NHL). Kempný won the Stanley Cup in 2018 with the Capitals.
After seven seasons of professional hockey in the ELH, Kempný was signed by Russian club, Avangard Omsk, to play in the Kontinental Hockey League on 29 April 2015. In the 2015–16 season, he quickly transitioned to become the club's top defenseman, scoring 21 points in 59 games from the blueline.
Upon competing in his first senior international tournament for the Czech Republic at the 2016 IIHF World Championships, on 23 May 2016, Kempný as an undrafted free agent was signed to a one-year contract with the Chicago Blackhawks of the NHL. Kempný made his NHL debut on 12 October. He scored the first goal of his NHL career on 30 December against Cam Ward of the Carolina Hurricanes.
In his first season with the club, he recorded 8 points in 50 games. On 27 May 2017, Kempný, who was set to become a restricted free agent, was re-signed by the club to a one-year extension.
On 19 February 2018, Kempný was traded to the Washington Capitals in exchange for the higher of Toronto or Washington's own third-round pick in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft; the pick would later be dealt and ultimately resulted in the selection of Linus Karlsson by the San Jose Sharks. Kempný scored his first career playoff goal in Game 1 of the 2018 Eastern Conference Finals against the Tampa Bay Lightning on a wrist shot from the point. He won the Stanley Cup with the Washington Capitals on June 7, 2018.
Regular season and playoffsEdit
|2007–08||HK 36 Skalica||Slovak||1||0||0||0||0||—||—||—||—||—|
|2008–09||HC Kometa Brno||CZE.1||18||1||0||1||6||14||1||0||1||6|
|2009–10||HC Kometa Brno||ELH||24||0||0||0||18||—||—||—||—||—|
|2009–10||SK Horácká Slavia Třebíč||CZE.1||8||1||0||1||14||11||2||1||3||32|
|2010–11||HC Kometa Brno||ELH||21||0||0||0||14||—||—||—||—||—|
|2010–11||HC Rebel Havlíčkův Brod||CZE.1||32||3||4||7||26||14||1||6||7||16|
|2011–12||HC Kometa Brno||ELH||23||1||1||2||14||—||—||—||—||—|
|2011–12||HC Rebel Havlíčkův Brod||CZE.1||3||0||0||0||2||—||—||—||—||—|
|2012–13||HC Slavia Praha||ELH||51||5||9||14||32||11||1||3||4||12|
|2013–14||HC Kometa Brno||ELH||51||7||8||15||74||18||2||4||6||20|
|2014–15||HC Kometa Brno||ELH||43||8||21||29||94||2||1||0||1||2|
Awards and honoursEdit
|Stanley Cup (Washington Capitals)||2018|||
- ↑ "2010-11 Scoring for Brno Kometa". hockeydb.com (2014-05-14). Retrieved on 2014-05-14.
- ↑ "Michal Kempny player profile" (in Czech). HC Kometa Brno (2014-05-15). Retrieved on 2014-05-15.
- ↑ "Kempny agrees to contract in KHL with Avangard Omsk" (in Czech). hokej.cz (2015-04-29). Retrieved on 2015-04-29.
- ↑ "Blackhawks agree to terms with Johansson, Kempny and Lundberg". Chicago Blackhawks (2016-05-23). Retrieved on 2016-05-23.
- ↑ Kuc, Chris. "Wednesday's recap: Blues 5, Blackhawks 2", Chicago Tribune, 2016-10-12. Retrieved on 2016-12-31.
- ↑ Lazerus, Mark. "Blackhawks stymied by Cam Ward in loss to Carolina", Chicago Sun-Times, 2016-12-30. Retrieved on 2016-12-31.
- ↑ "Blackhawks sign Michal Kempny to one-year extension". Sportsnet.ca (2017-05-27). Retrieved on 2017-05-27.
- ↑ Capitals Acquire Michal Kempny from Chicago Blackhawks (19 February 2018). Retrieved on 19 February 2018.
- ↑ Washington Capitalizes in Game 1 Against Tampa Bay (11 May 2018). Retrieved on 15 May 2018.
- ↑ "The Washington Capitals, after years of frustration, win the Stanley Cup". 'The New York Times' (2018-06-07). Retrieved on 2018-06-07.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Michal Kempný|
- Michal Kempný's career stats at The Internet Hockey Database
- Michal Kempný on FacebookTemplate:CzechRepublic-icehockey-bio-stub
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Michal Kempný. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Ice Hockey Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|