|Born||April 9 1992,|
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
|6 ft 2 in (0 m)|
194 lb (88 kg; 13)
Columbus Blue Jackets
|NHL Draft||89th overall, 2010|
Michael Chaput (born April 9, 1992) is a Canadian professional ice hockey player. He is currently playing with the Vancouver Canucks of the National Hockey League (NHL). Chaput was selected by the Philadelphia Flyers in the 3rd round (89th overall) of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft.
Playing career[edit | edit source]
Chaput played four seasons (2008-2012) of junior hockey in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL) with the Lewiston Maineiacs and Shawinigan Cataractes, scoring 77 goals and 110 assists for 187 points, while earning 238 penalty minutes, in 216 games played. He was awarded the Stafford Smythe Memorial Trophy as the most valuable player in the 2012 Memorial Cup.
On February 28, 2011, the Philadelphia Flyers traded Chaput to the Columbus Blue Jackets (along with Greg Moore) in exchange for Tom Sestito, and on April 28, 2012, the Blue Jackets signed Chaput to a three-year entry level contract.
At the conclusion of his entry-level contract with the Blue Jackets, Chaput was not tendered a qualifying offer and was released as a free agent. On the opening day of free agency on July 1, 2016, Chaput was signed to a one-year, two-way deal with the Vancouver Canucks. The Canucks assigned Chaput their AHL affiliate, the Utica Comets to start the 2016-17 season, but recalled him on November 7, 2016. On February 12, 2017, he scored two goals to help the Canucks defeat the Buffalo Sabres by a score of 4–2 for his first career multi-goal game.
Career statistics[edit | edit source]
|2013–14||Columbus Blue Jackets||NHL||17||0||1||1||1||—||—||—||—||—|
|2014–15||Columbus Blue Jackets||NHL||33||1||4||5||21||—||—||—||—||—|
|2015–16||Lake Erie Monsters||AHL||63||16||29||45||31||17||2||6||8||13|
|2015–16||Columbus Blue Jackets||NHL||8||1||1||2||5||—||—||—||—||—|
Awards and honours[edit | edit source]
|Memorial Cup All-Star Team||2012|||
|Calder Cup (Lake Erie Monsters)||2016|||
References[edit | edit source]
- He's Dustin the wind. Winnipeg Free Press (2011-02-28). Retrieved on 2012-04-28.
- Blue Jackets Ink Prospect Michael Chaput to Three-Year Entry Level Contract. Columbus Blue Jackets (2012-04-28). Retrieved on 2012-04-28.
- "Canucks sign Chaput, Rendulic and Billins". Vancouver Canucks (2016-07-01). Retrieved on 2016-07-01.
- "Michael Chaput Recalled from Utica". nhl.com (2016-11-07). Retrieved on 2016-11-27.
- "Michael Chaput scores twice in win for Canucks". nhl.com (2017-02-12). Retrieved on 2017-02-12.
- Memorial Cup All-Star Teams. Memorial Cup (2012-05-04). Retrieved on 2012-05-04.
- Brown, Tony (June 12, 2016). Bjorkstrand's OT goal clinches Monsters' first-ever Calder Cup championship. Columbus Blue Jackets. Retrieved on June 12, 2016.