|Born||April 23, 1990,|
Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.
|6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
205 lb (93 kg; 14 st 9 lb)
|NHL team (P)
|New Jersey Devils|
Binghamton Devils (AHL)
San Jose Sharks
Matthew Thomas Tennyson (born April 23, 1990) is an American professional ice hockey defenseman who currently plays for the Binghamton Devils in the American Hockey League (AHL) while under contract to the New Jersey Devils of the National Hockey League (NHL).
Undrafted, Tennyson attended the Western Michigan University where he played three seasons of NCAA Division I college hockey with the Western Michigan Broncos men's ice hockey team. On March 30, 2012, Tennyson signed a two-year entry-level contract with the San Jose Sharks. He immediately turned professional to join the Worcester Sharks for the final games of their 2011–12 AHL season.
Tennyson was the first player from the San Jose Junior Sharks youth hockey program to play in the NHL, let alone with the Sharks.
On July 3, 2016, Tennyson signed as a free agent to a one-year, two-way contract with the Carolina Hurricanes. Beginning the 2016–17 season with AHL affiliate, the Charlotte Checkers, Tennyson was recalled after recording 7 points in 9 games to remain with the Hurricanes for the remainder of the season. He appeared in a career best 45 games, collecting 6 assists.
On July 1, 2017, Tennyson was on the move as a free agent, agreeing to a two-year contract with the final year on a one-way basis with the Buffalo Sabres. On November 30, the Sabres placed Tennyson on waivers after 14 scoreless games with the club. He went unclaimed and was reassigned to AHL affiliate, the Rochester Americans.
On July 1, 2019, Tennyson left the Sabres as a free agent to sign a two-year, two-way contract with the New Jersey Devils. In the opening stages of the 2019–20 season, on October 11, 2019 Tennyson was called up from the Binghamton Devils to the New Jersey Devils in place of Andy Greene who was put on IR with an upper body injury.
|2008–09||Cedar Rapids RoughRiders||USHL||57||4||6||10||51||5||0||0||0||2|
|2009–10||Western Michigan University||CCHA||34||2||7||9||30||—||—||—||—||—|
|2010–11||Western Michigan University||CCHA||42||9||12||21||38||—||—||—||—||—|
|2011–12||Western Michigan University||CCHA||41||11||13||24||28||—||—||—||—||—|
|2012–13||San Jose Sharks||NHL||4||0||2||2||2||—||—||—||—||—|
|2014–15||San Jose Sharks||NHL||27||2||6||8||16||—||—||—||—||—|
|2015–16||San Jose Sharks||NHL||29||1||3||4||0||—||—||—||—||—|
|2015–16||San Jose Barracuda||AHL||5||0||0||0||0||1||0||0||0||2|
|2019–20||New Jersey Devils||NHL||20||0||3||3||6||—||—||—||—||—|
Awards and honors
|All-CCHA Second Team||2011–12|||
- Sharks sign Bay Area Native Matt Tennyson. San Jose Sharks (2012-03-30). Retrieved on 2012-03-30.
- Worcester Sharks sign Matt Tennyson to ATO. Worcester Sharks (2012-04-02). Retrieved on 2012-04-02.
- Former Jr. Sharks player debuts with NHL Sharks. San Jose Jr Sharks (2014-02-03). Retrieved on 2014-02-03.
- Canes agree to terms with Matt Tennyson. Carolina Hurricanes (2016-07-03). Retrieved on 2016-07-03.
- Sabres ink Tennyson to two-year deal. Buffalo Sabres (2017-07-01). Retrieved on 2017-07-01.
- Bogosian inches closer to return following physical practice (November 30, 2017). Retrieved on November 30, 2017.
- Devils sign defenseman Matt Tennyson. New Jersey Devils (July 1, 2019). Retrieved on July 1, 2019.
- Sharks sign Bay Area native Tennyson to entry level deal. San Jose Sharks (2012-03-09). Retrieved on 2012-03-09.
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Matt Tennyson. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Ice Hockey Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|