|6 ft 2 in (0 m)|
196 lb (89 kg)
San Jose Sharks
Detroit Red Wings
|Born||January 14 1968,|
Prelate, SK, CAN
|NHL Draft||15th overall, 1986|
|Pro Career||1988 – 2005|
Mark Pederson (born January 14, 1968) is a Canadian former professional ice hockey left winger who played five seasons in the National Hockey League (NHL) for the Montreal Canadiens, Philadelphia Flyers, San Jose Sharks and Detroit Red Wings from 1989–90 until 1993–94. He was the head coach of the Tilburg Trappers of the Dutch Eredivisie and head coach of the Serbian national team. After one season he left Tilburg Trappers. He went to Japan where he currently acts as head coach of the Nikko Icebucks. Mark Pederson won the Danish National Hockey championship 2016 as headcoach for Esbjerg Energy.
Playing career[edit | edit source]
Pederson was drafted 15th overall by the Canadiens in the 1986 NHL Entry Draft. He played 169 career NHL games, scoring 35 goals and 50 assists for 85 points.
Legal troubles[edit | edit source]
Pederson was suspended for two weeks in 2009 for an "internal matter" while working as an assistant coach with the Bakersfield Condors, which was revealed later to be due to antisemitic comments toward then-Condor Jason Bailey. In January 2011, Pederson was named in a lawsuit filed by Bailey's lawyer, Keith Fink, alleging that his client faced "a barrage of anti-Semitic, offensive and degrading verbal attacks regarding his Jewish faith" from Pederson and head coach Marty Raymond. Pederson, in particular, was named in the suit as having approached Bailey on one occasion to state: "oh, I got a (Facebook) friend request from a dirty Jew." On January 27, ESPN.com released details of court documents filed by Fink and reported that the NHL is also now investigating.
References[edit | edit source]
- Loonen, Joeri (2010-08-02). Coming full circle. IIHF.com. Retrieved on 2010-08-02.
- Rodriguez, Sabrina. "Racist comments may have led to Condors coaches' suspension", 29 May 2009. Retrieved on 27 January 2011.
- Baxter, Kevin. "Former Ducks minor league player says he faced anti-Semitic remarks", 26 January 2011. Retrieved on 27 January 2011.
- "US Jewish ice hockey player sues club for anti-Semitism", 26 January 2011. Retrieved on 27 January 2011.
- Cherner, Reid. "Former Ducks prospect files lawsuit for anti-Semitic remarks", 26 January 2011. Retrieved on 28 January 2011.
- Burnside, Scott. "Details emerge of Jason Bailey's suit", 28 January 2011. Retrieved on 28 January 2011.
[edit | edit source]
- Mark Pederson's career stats at The Internet Hockey Database
- Mark Pederson's career stats at Hockey-Reference.com
- Mark Pederson's biography at Legends of Hockey
- Mark Pederson's NHL player profile
|Montreal Canadiens first round draft pick
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Mark Pederson. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Ice Hockey Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|