Playing hockey games outdoors, in soccer, football and baseball stadiums, is an increasingly popular trend for junior, college, professional and international competitions in the 21st century. The popularity of outdoor games has resulted in attendance records in several leagues, and the current world record total of 104,173 was set at The Big Chill at the Big House, a December 2010 National Collegiate Athletic Association game between the University of Michigan and Michigan State University.
While other indoor sports such as basketball have been able to use outdoor tennis courts and even aircraft carriers for outdoor games, this is rarely possible in ice hockey because a regulation rink is generally much wider and longer than the playing surface available in either of those venues. Ice hockey has however been played at Stade Roland Garros, venue of the French Open. Staging a Vysshaya liga game on the Russian carrier Admiral Kuznetsov has been considered as well. To compensate for the varying weather conditions at outdoor ice hockey games, the teams may switch sides after each half of a period.
In the early history of hockey, games were played outdoors on rivers, lakes, and other naturally occurring ice surfaces. In fact, the first indoor game, held in 1875, was a novelty at the time, yet after that the game moved inside. While the first Olympic hockey tournament, held in 1920, was played indoors, games at the first Winter Olympics in 1924 were the first of several such tournaments to be played outdoors. Games at the World Championships were occasionally played outdoors, including the 1957 gold medal game between the Soviet Union and Sweden at the Lenin Stadium in Moscow. The attendance at that game was approximately 55,000, a number that stood as a record for more than 40 years. In 1954, the Detroit Red Wings of the National Hockey League (NHL) played an exhibition game on an outdoor ice surface against the inmates of Michigan's Marquette Branch Prison.
While the New York Rangers and the Los Angeles Kings played an NHL exhibition game in 1991 outside Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, the modern trend for outdoor competition began in 2001. That year, Michigan State University and the University of Michigan played to a 3–3 tie in an outdoor game known as the Cold War before 74,554 fans. The game was held at Michigan State's Spartan Stadium, with the hockey rink set up in the middle of the football field.
The NHL's first regular season outdoor game ensued: the 2003 Heritage Classic, hosted by the Edmonton Oilers, who lost by a 4–3 score to the Montreal Canadiens. Though the game was played in frigid temperatures that went as low as −18 °C, −30 °C (−22 °F) with wind chill , it drew over 57,000 fans and was hailed as a success. The league followed it up in 2008 when it inaugurated the NHL Winter Classic as an annual event to be held on New Year's Day. The 2008 NHL Winter Classic, held in Buffalo, set an NHL attendance record of 71,217. The 2014 NHL Winter Classic, held at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, Michigan, set a new NHL attendance record of 105,491. In 2011, for the first time the NHL hosted two outdoor games, the Winter Classic in Pittsburgh, and the Heritage Classic in Calgary.
Outdoor games have been held by many leagues around the world. The Swiss league's SCL Tigers hosted SC Bern in an outdoor game to celebrate the 100th Tigers–Bern Derby in 2007. In 2009, Swedish clubs Frölunda HC and Färjestads BK played a game at Ullevi. The game broke the former European league-game record for attendance at that time with a crowd of 31,144 (beaten in February 2011 when Jokerit and HIFK played in front of 36,644 spectators). The game also broke the Swedish record crowd of 23,192, set in the same stadium in 1962. The current world record for attendance at a hockey game was set in December 2010, in an NCAA game between the same two teams that participated in the Cold War. In this game, Michigan hosted Michigan State in an event known as The Big Chill at the Big House. The game had an announced attendance of 113,411 spectators, but Guinness World Records certified the attendance as 104,173 based on tickets scanned. The record had previously been set at the opening game of the 2010 IIHF World Championship, in which the hosting Germans defeated the United States 2–1 before a then-record 77,803 fans. Although the game was held at Veltins-Arena in Gelsenkirchen, it was not technically an outdoor game, as the stadium's retractable roof was closed due to International Ice Hockey Federation regulations. In 2010, Färjestad and Frölunda again played an outdoor game against each other, this time in Karlstad. 15,274 spectators saw Färjestad win the game 5–2.
Outdoor games have proven to be immensely popular with fans. For the 2003 Heritage Classic, the NHL received over 900,000 requests from all over the world for a chance to buy one of the 57,167 tickets available. CBC's Hockey Night in Canada telecast of the game drew 2.7 million viewers, a record for a regular season game for the half-century old television program. In the United States, the Winter Classics have been a ratings winner; 4.56 million people watched the 2011 Winter Classic, and the game led to a ratings win for NBC in the coveted 18–49 age group despite the fact that poor weather forced the NHL to move the start time of the game back several hours on less than a day's notice. It became the most watched NHL regular season game in the last 36 years. The games have been credited as causing increased interest in hockey in the United States. In Russia, the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) hosted its first All-Star Game in 2009 in Moscow's Red Square. The league used the location to promote the KHL amidst the global financial crisis.
Though games have been held outdoors since the sport's earliest days, this list contains only those held since the 2001 Cold War popularized the trend of holding outdoor games as events.
|Date||Event||Location||League||Home team||Score||Visiting team||Attendance||Notes||Ref|
|October 6, 2001||Cold War|| Spartan Stadium
East Lansing, Michigan
|CCHA||Michigan State Spartans||3–3||Michigan Wolverines||74,554||First outdoor game in NCAA history|||
|November 22, 2003||2003 Heritage Classic|| Commonwealth Stadium
|NHL||Edmonton Oilers||3–4||Montreal Canadiens||57,167||First regular season outdoor game in NHL history|||
|April 2, 2005||Our Game to Give|| Ivor Wynne Stadium
|Charity game||Team Gilmour||9–8||Team Staios||10,300||Held during 2004–05 NHL lockout|||
|February 13, 2006||Frozen Tundra Classic|| Lambeau Field
Green Bay, Wisconsin
|WCHA||Wisconsin Badgers||4–2||Ohio State Buckeyes||40,890|||
|January 14, 2007||100th Tigers-Bern derby match|| Stade de Suisse
|NLA||SCL Tigers||2–5||SC Bern||30,076||National League A attendance record|||
|January 1, 2008||2008 NHL Winter Classic|| Ralph Wilson Stadium
Orchard Park, New York
|January 1, 2009||2009 NHL Winter Classic|| Wrigley Field
|Chicago Blackhawks||4–6||Detroit Red Wings||40,818|||
|January 10, 2009||2009 KHL All-Star Game|| Red Square
|KHL||Team Yashin||6–7||Team Jágr||2,500 (est.)||First outdoor game in KHL history|||
|February 7, 2009|| Gstaad Skating Rink
|February 14, 2009||Fairbanks Ice Dogs 1st Annual Outdoor Game|| Big Dipper Ice Arena
|NAHL||Fairbanks Ice Dogs||3–1||Alaska Avalanche||2,000 (est.)||First outdoor game sanctioned by USA Hockey|||
|December 27, 2009||2009 Hungarian Winter Classic|| Kisstadion
|MOL||Ferencvárosi TC||2–1||Újpesti TE||4,500|||
|December 28, 2009||2009 SEL Outdoor Classic|| Ullevi
|SEL||Frölunda HC||4–1||Färjestad BK||31,144||Elitserien/SHL attendance record
Established new attendance record for a league match in Sweden
|January 1, 2010||2010 NHL Winter Classic|| Fenway Park
|January 8, 2010||Frozen Fenway 2010||Hockey East||Northeastern Huskies (women)||3–5||New Hampshire Wildcats (women)||6,889|||
|Hockey East||Boston College Eagles||2–3||Boston University Terriers||38,472|||
|January 9, 2010|| Hypo-Arena
|EBEL||EC KAC||1–3||VSV EC||30,500||Austrian Hockey League attendance record|||
|New Jersey Pond Hockey Classic|| Navesink Country Club
Navesink, New Jersey
|ACHA||Rowan University||4–4||University of Maryland, Baltimore County||100||First ACHA outdoor game|
|February 6, 2010||Camp Randall Hockey Classic|| Camp Randall Stadium
|WCHA||Wisconsin Badgers (women)||6–1||Bemidji State Beavers (women)||8,263|||
|WCHA||Wisconsin Badgers (men)||3–2||Michigan Wolverines (men)||55,031|||
|February 20, 2010||Mirabito Outdoor Classic|| New York State Fairgrounds
Syracuse, New York
|AHL||Syracuse Crunch||2–1||Binghamton Senators||21,508||First AHL outdoor game; American Hockey League attendance record (since broken)|||
|March 13, 2010||Fairbanks Ice Dogs 2nd Annual Outdoor Game|| Big Dipper Ice Arena
|NAHL||Fairbanks Ice Dogs||3–2||Wichita Falls Wildcats||2,500 (est.)|||
|May 7, 2010||2010 IIHF World Championship Opening Game|| Veltins-Arena
|IIHF||Germany||2–1||United States||77,803||Record for an official IIHF Game|||
|November 26, 2010||Northern Classic||Fort McMurray, Alberta||AJHL||Fort McMurray Oil Barons||4–2||Drayton Valley Thunder||5,726||Alberta Junior Hockey League attendance record|||
|December 4, 2010||The Frozen Face-off|| Michigan Stadium
Ann Arbor, Michigan
|MCHA||Adrian Bulldogs||3–0||Concordia Falcons||1,470||1st outdoor D-III game on record|||
|December 11, 2010||The Big Chill at the Big House||CCHA||Michigan Wolverines||5–0||Michigan State Spartans||104,173||CCHA attendance record; highest attended game on record|||
|December 26, 2010||2010 SEL Outdoor Classic||Karlstad Outdoor Arena, Sweden||SEL||Färjestad BK||5–2||Frölunda HC||15,274|||
|December 31, 2010||2011 NHL Winter Classic Alumni Game|| Heinz Field
|NHL Alumni||Pittsburgh Penguins alumni||5–5||Washington Capitals alumni||10,000|||||
|January 1, 2011||2011 NHL Winter Classic||NHL||Pittsburgh Penguins||1–3||Washington Capitals||68,111|||
|January 2, 2011||Open Air Hockey 2011|| Pardubice-Svítkov Speedway
Pardubice, Czech Republic
|ELH||HC Eaton Pardubice||4–2||HC Kometa Brno||17,140||Set Extraliga attendance record
|January 9, 2011||2011 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships – Division III|| Zócalo
Mexico City, Mexico
|IIHF||Mexico||8–0||Bulgaria||3,000||First outdoor ice hockey game in Mexican history|||
|January 15, 2011||Rockstar Outdoor Hockey Classic|| Avista Stadium
|WHL||Spokane Chiefs||11–2||Kootenay Ice||7,075|||
| Bernick's Outdoor Rink
|MIAC||Saint Benedict Blazers (women)||1–9||Concordia Cobbers (women)||100|||
|January 29, 2011||North Shore Winter Classic|| Iron Bridge Outdoor Arena
Iron Bridge, Ontario
|GMHL||Elliot Lake Bobcats||8–2||Algoma Avalanche||400 (est.)|||
|February 5, 2011||2011 Talviklassikko||Helsinki Olympic Stadium||SM-liiga||Jokerit||3–4||HIFK||36,644||SM-liiga attendance record
Established new attendance record for a European league match (since broken)
|February 13, 2011||Whalers Hockey Fest|| Rentschler Field
East Hartford, Connecticut
|Atlantic Hockey||Connecticut Huskies (men)||3–1||Sacred Heart Pioneers (men)||1,911|||
|Hockey East||Connecticut Huskies (women)||3–4||Providence Friars (women)||153|||
|February 15, 2011||NESCAC||Trinity Bantams (women)||5–1||Wesleyan Cardinals (women)||100|||
|NESCAC||Wesleyan Cardinals (men)||1–3||Trinity Bantams (men)||820|||
|February 19, 2011||Atlantic Hockey||American International Yellow Jackets||1–4||Army Black Knights||1,142|||
|NHL Alumni||Hartford Whalers alumni||4–4||Boston Bruins alumni||10,000|||
|Whale Bowl||AHL||Connecticut Whale||4–5
|Providence Bruins||21,673||American Hockey League attendance record (since broken)|||
|Face-Off in the Foothills|| McMahon Stadium
|NHL Alumni||1989 Calgary Flames||3–5||Montreal Canadiens alumni||10,000+|||
|February 20, 2011||2011 Heritage Classic||NHL||Calgary Flames||4–0||Montreal Canadiens||41,022|||
|February 21, 2011||Face-Off in the Foothills||WHL||Calgary Hitmen||2–3||Regina Pats||20,888||Western and Canadian Hockey League attendance records; Junior hockey world record|||
|February 26, 2011||Slaget om Siljan|| Villa Långbers Arena
|HockeyAllsvenskan||Leksands IF||1–4||Mora IK||17,319|||
|March 12, 2011||Fairbanks Ice Dogs 3rd Annual Outdoor Game|| Big Dipper Ice Arena
|NAHL||Fairbanks Ice Dogs||5–3||Wenatchee Wild||2,000 (est.)|||
|December 10, 2011||2011 SEL Outdoor Classic|| Elmia Outdoor Arena
|Linköpings HC||18,884||New attendance record for a sports event in Jönköping
First road team winner since the yearly tradition from 2009
|December 31, 2011||2012 NHL Winter Classic Alumni Game|| Citizens Bank Park
|NHL Alumni||Philadelphia Flyers alumni||3–1||New York Rangers alumni||45,808|||
|January 2, 2012||2012 NHL Winter Classic||NHL||Philadelphia Flyers||2–3||New York Rangers||46,967|||
|January 6, 2012||2012 AHL Outdoor Game||AHL||Adirondack Phantoms||4–3
|Hershey Bears||45,653||American Hockey League attendance record|||
|January 7, 2012||Frozen Fenway 2012|| Fenway Park
|Hockey East||Vermont Catamounts||2–3
|Hockey East||New Hampshire Wildcats||4–5
|Maine Black Bears||38,456|||
|January 10, 2012||Hockey East||Providence Friars (women)||2–3||Dartmouth Big Green (women)||1,305|||
|January 13, 2012||ECAC East (D-III)||Babson Beavers||1–4||Norwich Cadets||7,250|||
|ECAC Hockey||Harvard Crimson||0–2||Union Dutchmen||8,981|||
|January 14, 2012||Hockey East||Boston College Eagles||2–1||Northeastern Huskies||29,601|||
|January 15, 2012||The Frozen Diamond Faceoff|| Progressive Field
|CCHA||Ohio State Buckeyes||1–4||Michigan Wolverines||25,864||First outdoor hockey game between rivals Ohio State and Michigan|||
|January 19, 2012||OUA Outdoor Classic|| Ivor Wynne Stadium
|OUA||UOIT Ridgebacks (women)||2–3||Brock Badgers (women)||102|||
|January 20, 2012||2012 AHL Outdoor Classic "Steeltown Showdown"||NHL Alumni||Montreal Canadiens alumni||5–6||Toronto Maple Leafs alumni||8,000|||
|January 21, 2012||2012 AHL Outdoor Classic "Steeltown Showdown"||AHL||Hamilton Bulldogs||2–7||Toronto Marlies||20,565|||
|January 22, 2012||OUA Outdoor Classic||OUA||Waterloo Warriors (men)||3–1||Brock Badgers (men)||500|||
|February 4, 2012||2012 Talviklassikko||Helsinki Olympic Stadium||SM-liiga||HIFK||3–2
|February 9, 2012||2012 Oddset Hockey Games||Euro Hockey Tour||Finland||0–2||Russia||25,036|||
|February 17, 2012||Russian Classic||Central Stadium, Krasnoyarsk, Russia||VHL||Sokol Krasnoyarsk||2–3||Lokomotiv Yaroslavl||16,100|||
|September 14, 2012||2012 Arena Ice Fever||Pula Arena, Pula, Croatia||EBEL||Medveščak Zagreb||2–3||Olimpija Ljubljana||7,130||First hockey game held in an amphitheater|||
|September 16, 2012||EBEL||Medveščak Zagreb||4–1||Vienna Capitals|||
|December 8, 2012||2012 SEL Outdoor Classic/Brynäs IF 100-year celebration|| Gävlebocken Arena
|SEL||Brynäs IF||3–0||Timrå IK||15,009|||
|January 4, 2013||Bežigrad IceFest 2013||Bežigrad Stadium, Ljubljana, Slovenia||EBEL||Olimpija Ljubljana||5–4
|January 5, 2013||2013 DEL Winter Game|| Frankenstadion
|DEL||Thomas Sabo Ice Tigers||4–3||Eisbären Berlin||50,000||New attendance record for a European league match|||
|January 6, 2013||City Game||Penguins Pond at Highmark Stadium, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania||ACHA||Pitt Panthers||5–3||Duquesne Dukes||N/A||Game traditionally held at CONSOL Energy Center; held during the 2012-13 NHL lockout|||
|Bežigrad IceFest 2013||Bežigrad Stadium, Ljubljana, Slovenia||EBEL||Olimpija Ljubljana||8-4||Medveščak Zagreb||7,000|||
|January 8, 2013||EBEL||Olimpija Ljubljana||2-4||EC KAC||7,000|||
|January 20, 2013||2013 AHL Outdoor Classic|| Hersheypark Stadium
|February 9, 2013||Mutual of Omaha Battles on Ice|| TD Ameritrade Park Omaha
|USHL||Omaha Lancers||4–2||Lincoln Stars||13,523||First outdoor USHL game, Part of a Doubleheader|||
|WCHA||Omaha Mavericks||2–5||North Dakota||13,650||Part of a Doubleheader.|||
|February 17, 2013||OfficeMax Hockey City Classic|| Soldier Field
|CCHA||Notre Dame Fighting Irish||2–1||Miami RedHawks||52,051||Part of a doubleheader.|||
|WCHA||Wisconsin Badgers||3–2||Minnesota Golden Gophers||52,051||Part of a doubleheader.|||
|December 13, 2013||Frozen Frontier|| Frontier Field
Rochester, New York
|Lake Erie Monsters||11,015|||
|December 14, 2013||Non-conference
NCAA Div I
|RIT Tigers (women)||2–6||Clarkson Golden Knights (women)||1,578||First outdoor women's hockey game in the state of New York|||
|Atlantic Hockey||RIT Tigers (men)||2–2
|Niagara Purple Eagles (men)||4,760|||
|2013 SHL Outdoor Classic|| Gamla Ullevi
|SHL||Frölunda HC||1–4||Skellefteå AIK||13,452||Second SHL outdoor game in Gothenburg|||
|Open Ice Winter Classic Tampere|| Tampere Stadium
|December 15, 2013||Frozen Frontier|| Frontier Field
Rochester, New York
NCAA Div III
|Nazareth Golden Flyers (men)||2–3||Geneseo Knights (men)||1,000|||
|OJHL||Buffalo Junior Sabres||4–5||St. Michael's Buzzers||1,173|||
|NHL/AHL Alumni||Rochester Americans alumni||5–3||Buffalo Sabres Alumni||N/A||Game played in two halves|||
|December 16, 2013||2013 Hockeytown Winter Festival|| Comerica Park
|OUA||Windsor Lancers||2–5||Western Mustangs||1,000|||
|December 22, 2013||Winter Game 2013|| Stade des Alpes
|Ligue Magnus||Grenoble Brûleurs de Loups||4–5||Briançon Diables Rouges||19,767||Attendance record for a game between two French teams|
|December 27, 2013||2013 Hockeytown Winter Festival|| Comerica Park
|NCAA||Michigan Tech Huskies||3–2 (SO)||Michigan State Spartans||25,449|
|Michigan Wolverines||2–3 (OT)||Western Michigan Broncos||25,449|
|December 28, 2013||Frozen Fenway 2014|| Fenway Park
|Atlantic Hockey||Bentley Falcons||3–2||Holy Cross Crusaders||3,898|||
|2013 Hockeytown Winter Festival|| Comerica Park
|NCAA||Michigan Wolverines||0–3||Michigan State Spartans||26,052|
|Western Michigan Broncos||1–0 (OT)||Michigan Tech Huskies|
|December 29, 2013||OHL||Saginaw Spirit||5–6||Windsor Spitfires||25,749||Set OHL and CHL attendance record|||
|Plymouth Whalers||2–1 (SO)||London Knights||26,384||Reset OHL and CHL attendance record|||
|December 30, 2013||AHL||Grand Rapids Griffins||3–4 (SO)||Toronto Marlies||20,337|
|December 31, 2013||NHL Alumni||Detroit Red Wings Alumni||5–4||Toronto Maple Leafs Alumni||33,425|||
|January 1, 2014||2014 NHL Winter Classic|| Michigan Stadium
Ann Arbor, Michigan
|NHL||Detroit Red Wings||2–3 (SO)||Toronto Maple Leafs||105,491 (announced)
< 104,173 (certified)
|National Hockey League attendance record|||
|January 4, 2014||Frozen Fenway 2014|| Fenway Park
|Hockey East||Merrimack Warriors||1–1||Providence Friars||31,569|||
|Hockey East||Boston College Eagles||4–3||Notre Dame Fighting Irish||31,569|||
|January 7, 2014||Non-conference
NCAA Div III
|Salem State Vikings||2–4||UMass Boston Beacons||1,133|||
|NESCAC||Williams Ephs||4–2||Trinity Bantams||4,132|||
|January 9, 2014||ECAC East||Babson Beavers||0–1||Norwich Cadets||1,200|||
|January 11, 2014||Hockey East||Northeastern Huskies||4–1||UMass Lowell River Hawks||25,580|||
|Hockey East||Boston University Terriers||3–7||Maine Black Bears||25,580|||
|2014 NLA Winter Classic|| Stade de Genève
|NLA||Genève-Servette HC||0–1 (OT)||Lausanne Hockey Club||29,400|||
|January 17, 2014||2014 Hockey City Classic|| TCF Bank Stadium
|WCHA||Minnesota Golden Gophers (women)||4–0||Minnesota State Mavericks (women)||6,623|||
|Big Ten||Minnesota Golden Gophers||1–0||Ohio State Buckeyes||45,021|||
|January 19, 2014||Russian Classic|| Central Stadium
|VHL||Chelmet Chelyabinsk||2–5||Lada Togliatti||9,200|||
|January 25, 2014||2014 NHL Stadium Series|| Dodger Stadium
Los Angeles, California
|NHL||Los Angeles Kings||0–3||Anaheim Ducks||54,099|||
|January 26, 2014|| Yankee Stadium
New York, New York
|New Jersey Devils||3–7||New York Rangers||50,105|||
|January 29, 2014||New York Islanders||1–2||New York Rangers||50,027|||
|March 1, 2014|| Soldier Field
|Chicago Blackhawks||5–1||Pittsburgh Penguins||62,921|||
|2014 Talviklassikko||Helsinki Olympic Stadium||Liiga||Jokerit||1–2||HIFK||23,485|||
|March 2, 2014||2014 Heritage Classic|| BC Place
Vancouver, British Columbia
|NHL||Vancouver Canucks||2–4||Ottawa Senators||54,194||BC Place's retractable roof was closed due to weather concerns.|||
|December 18, 2014||2015 Slovenian Winter Classic|| Republic Square Open Ice Rink
|Slovenian Ice Hockey League||HDD Olimpija Ljubljana||2–1||HDD Jesenice||3,500|||
|December 27, 2014||Toledo Walleye Winterfest|| Fifth Third Field
|ECHL||Toledo Walleye||1–2||Kalamazoo Wings||11,222||First Outdoor game in ECHL history|||
|January 1, 2015||2015 NHL Winter Classic|| Nationals Park
|NHL||Washington Capitals||3–2||Chicago Blackhawks||42,832|
|January 3, 2015||Toledo Walleye Winterfest|| Fifth Third Field
|NCAA||Bowling Green Falcons||2–2||Robert Morris Colonials||3,806|||
|ECHL||Toledo Walleye||2–3 (SO)||Fort Wayne Komets||11,081|||
|2015 EBEL Winter Classic|| Wörthersee Stadion
|EBEL||EC KAC||1–4||EC VSV||29,700|
|January 10, 2015||2015 DEL Winter Game|| ESPRIT arena
|DEL||DEG||3–2||Kölner Haie||51,125||European league-game attendance record|||
|January 23, 2015||2015 QMJHL Winter Classic|| Grandes Estrades Coors Banquet
|QMJHL||Shawinigan Cataractes||4–2||Victoriaville Tigres||5,996|||
|January 24, 2015||Shawinigan Cataractes||2–3||Quebec Remparts||7,323|||
|February 7, 2015||2015 Hockey City Classic|| Soldier Field
|NCHC||Western Michigan Broncos||3–4||Miami RedHawks||22,751|
|Big Ten||Michigan State Spartans||1–4||Michigan Wolverines||22,751|
|February 14, 2015||Russian Classic|| Sputnik Stadium
Nizhny Tagil, Russia
|VHL||Sputnik Nizhny Tagil||0–4||Yuzhny Ural Orsk||9,000|||
|February 21, 2015||2015 NHL Stadium Series|| Levi's Stadium
Santa Clara, California
|NHL||San Jose Sharks||1–2||Los Angeles Kings||70,205|||
|December 18, 2015||Golden State Hockey Rush|| Raley Field
West Sacramento, California
|AHL||Stockton Heat||3–2||Bakersfield Condors||9,357||Postponed from December 17, 2015 due to rain|||
|December 31, 2015||2016 Outdoor Women's Classic|| Gillette Stadium
|NWHL/CWHL||Boston Pride||1–1||Les Canadiennes||first professional women's outdoor game|||
|January 1, 2016||2016 NHL Winter Classic|| Gillette Stadium
|NHL||Boston Bruins||1–5||Montreal Canadiens||67,246|
|January 3, 2016||Brno Hockey Games 2016||Stadium Za Lužánkami||ELH||Kometa Brno||5–2||Škoda Plzeň||18,514|
|January 8, 2016||Brno Hockey Games 2016||Stadium Za Lužánkami||ELH||Kometa Brno||2–4||Sparta Praha||21,502||Set the new ELH attendance record|
|January 9, 2016||2016 DEL2 Winterderby|| Stadion Dresden
|DEL2||Dresdner Eislöwen||4–3 (OT)||Lausitzer Füchse||31,853||German second league (DEL2) attendance record|
|February 20, 2016||Battle on Blake|| Coors Field
|NCHC||Denver Pioneers||4–1||Colorado College Tigers||35,144||NCHC attendance record|
|February 21, 2016||2016 NHL Stadium Series|| TCF Bank Stadium
|NHL||Minnesota Wild||6–1||Chicago Blackhawks||50,426|
|February 27, 2016|| Coors Field
|Colorado Avalanche||3–5||Detroit Red Wings||50,095|
|September 10, 2016||2016 DEL2 Summer Game|| Commerzbank Arena
|DEL2||Löwen Frankfurt||4-5 (OT)||Kassel Huskies||30,000|||
|October 23, 2016||2016 NHL Heritage Classic|| Investors Group Field
|NHL||Winnipeg Jets||0-3||Edmonton Oilers||33,240|||
|December 16, 2016||Ulkojäät 2016||Tampere, Finland||Liiga||Ilves||3-4 (OT)||Tappara||11,000|
|December 17, 2016||Ilves||3-2 (OT)||HIFK||8,500|
|December 28, 2016||Karácsonyi HOKIBULI Winter Game 2016|| Városligeti Műjégpálya
|EBEL||SAPA Fehérvár AV 19||2-8||EC Red Bull Salzburg||4253|||
|December 29, 2016||Karácsonyi HOKIBULI Winter Game 2016|| Városligeti Műjégpálya
|MOL Liga||Újpesti TE||HSC Csíkszereda|
|December 29, 2016||MOL Liga||MAC Budapest||DVTK Jegesmedvék|
|December 30, 2016||Karácsonyi HOKIBULI Winter Game 2016|| Városligeti Műjégpálya
|EBEL||SAPA Fehérvár AV 19||5-2||EC KAC||4242|||
|December 30, 2016||Winter Game 2016|| Parc Olympique Lyonnais
|Ligue Magnus||Lyon Lions||2-5||Grenoble
Brûleurs de Loups
Official French ice hockey attendance record
|January 1, 2017||NHL Centennial Classic|| BMO Field
|NHL||Toronto Maple Leafs||4-3 (OT)||Detroit Red Wings||40,148|
|January 2, 2017||2017 NHL Winter Classic|| Busch Stadium
St. Louis, Missouri
|NHL||St. Louis Blues||4-1||Chicago Blackhawks||46,556|
|January 7, 2017||2017 DEL Winter Game|| Wirsol Rhein-Neckar-Arena
|DEL||Schwenninger Wild Wings||Adler Mannheim|
|January 7, 2017||Frozen Fenway 2017|| Fenway Park
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
|NCAA||Boston University Terriers men's ice hockey||UMass Minutemen ice hockey|
|NCAA||Boston College Eagles men's ice hockey||Providence Friars men's ice hockey|
|January 14, 2017||Frozen Fenway 2017|| Fenway Park
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
|NCAA||New Hampshire Wildcats men's ice hockey||Northeastern Huskies men's ice hockey|
|NCAA||Connecticut Huskies men's ice hockey||Maine Black Bears men's ice hockey|
|January 21, 2017||2017 GET-ligaen Winter Classic|| Fredrikstad stadion
|February 18, 2017||2017 NHL Stadium Series|| Heinz Field
|NHL||Pittsburgh Penguins||4-2||Philadelphia Flyers||67,318|||
|December 16, 2017||NHL 100 Classic|| TD Place Stadium
|NHL||Ottawa Senators||Montreal Canadiens|
|December 31, 2017||2018 WJHC|| New Era Field
Orchard Park, New York
|WJHC||U.S. national junior team||Canadian national junior team||Game is tentative.|||
- 1. ^ The SEL Outdoor Classic was renamed the SHL Outdoor Classic due to the league name change in June 2013.
- Record crowd watches hockey game. ESPN (2010-12-12). Retrieved on 2011-01-02.
- Podnieks, Andrew. Canada's Olympic Hockey History 1920–2010. Toronto: Fenn Publishing, 23. ISBN 1-55168-323-7.
- "Hockey gimmicks", Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved on 2011-01-02.
- Red Wings Played Prison Hockey Team In 1954. Greatest Hockey Legends.com (2010-03-24). Retrieved on 2011-01-07.
- Huskey, Melody (2008-12-31). Kings no stranger to outdoor game. Los Angeles Kings Hockey Club. Retrieved on 2011-01-02.
- Finsterwalder, Brandon (2001-10-08). Outdoor hockey game. Badger Herald. Retrieved on 2011-01-02.
- Dolezar, John (2003-11-23), Instant Classic, CNN Sports Illustrated, <http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/writers/jon_dolezar/11/23/heritage.classic/>. Retrieved on 2011-01-02
- Crosby scores shootout winner as Penguins nip Sabres in Winter Classic. ESPN (2008-01-01). Retrieved on 2011-01-02.
- Von Zaugg, Klaus (2007-01-15). Lob von Sämi für das Hockey-Spektakel (German). Blick.ch. Retrieved on 2011-01-02.
- Andersson, Pär (2009-12-28). Publikkaos när Europarekordet slogs (Swedish). Dagens Nyheter. Retrieved on 2011-01-02.
- Klein, Jeff Z.. "12/28/09: Big Crowd for Outdoor Game . . . but in Sweden", The New York Times, 2009-12-28. Retrieved on 2011-01-03.
- Highest attendance for an ice hockey match. Guinness World Records. Retrieved on 2014-02-08.
- Janela, Mike (14 December 2010). Highest ice hockey game attendance. guinnessworldrecords.com. Retrieved on 2011-01-04.
- Adams, Alan (2010-05-07). Historic win for Germany. International Ice Hockey Federation. Retrieved on 2011-01-02.
- "Germany 2010 hosts aim for world-record 75,976 in Gelsenkrichen's Veltins-Arena", National Hockey League, 2008-12-15. Retrieved on 2011-01-07.
- "113,411 see outdoor game", International Ice Hockey Federation, 2010-12-12. Retrieved on 2011-01-07.
- Tidningarnas Telegrambyrå (2010-12-26). Färjestad tog revansch utomhus (Swedish). Dagens Nyheter. Retrieved on 2011-01-03.
- Pincus, Arthur (2006). The Official Illustrated NHL History. Readers Digest, 200. ISBN 0-88850-800-X.
- Wyshnyski, Greg (2011-01-02). NHL Winter Classic gives NBC key ratings win in prime time. Yahoo! Sports. Retrieved on 2011-01-02.
- Winter Classic On NBC Is Top NHL Regular-Season Audience In 36 Years. Sportsbusinessdaily.com. Retrieved on 2011-01-07.
- McGran, Kevin. "How the Winter Classic saved the NHL", Toronto Star, 2010-12-31. Retrieved on 2011-01-02.
- KHL holds outdoor All-Star Game in Red Square. The Sports Network (2009-01-10). Retrieved on 2011-01-02.
- Edmonton Oilers Community Foundation. Oilers Stage Heritage Classic. Edmonton Oilers Community Foundation. Retrieved on 2011-01-03.
- "Rain doesn't halt outdoor charity game", CBC News, 2005-04-02.
- It's a classic: Bulldogs vs. Marlies at Ivor Wynne. Hamilton Spectator (2011-08-25). Retrieved on 2011-08-27.
- Albright, David (2006-02-14). On top of the ol' Tundra, a great day for hockey. ESPN. Retrieved on 2011-01-02.
- Even outside, Red Wings prove superior to Blackhawks. ESPN (2009-01-01). Retrieved on 2011-01-02.
- Open-air Ice Hockey spectacle. GstaadLife (2009-02-13). Retrieved on 2011-01-19.
- McDonough, Brian (2009-02-16). Outdoor game earns high marks. North America Hockey League. Retrieved on 2011-01-02.
- Rourke, Shawn P. (2010-01-01). Bruins walk off Fenway field a Classic winner. National Hockey League. Retrieved on 2011-01-02.
- Cazeneuve, Brian. "Frigid Fenway: College players get thrills, chills in baseball cathedral", CNN/Sports Illustrated, 2010-01-09. Retrieved on 2011-01-02.
- Villach triumphiert im Freiluft-Derby (German). Die Presse (2010-01-09). Retrieved on 2011-01-02.
- Baggot, Andy (2010-02-09). Can Camp Randall Hockey Classic do it again?. madison.com. Retrieved on 2011-01-02.
- AHL Record Crowd of 21,508 Sees Crunch Beat Binghamton. Syracuse Crunch Hockey Club (2010-02-21). Retrieved on 2010-11-04.
- Outdoor game another success in Fairbanks. North America Hockey League (2010-03-15). Retrieved on 2011-01-02.
- Historic win for Germany. Internatinoal Ice Hockey Federation (2010-05-07). Retrieved on 2010-05-07.
- Spencer, Donna. "Alberta junior hockey players faceoff outdoors", Globe and Mail, 2010-11-26. Retrieved on 2011-01-02.
- Adrian,Concordia to play at Michigan Stadium. USCHO (2010-10-29). Retrieved on 2011-02-10.
- Organizers limited the number of tickets available to far fewer than could be accommodated or were desired, a move that caused controversy.
- Roarke, Shawn P. (2010-12-31). Alumni Game Ends In Tie; Lemieux Gets 2 Points. Retrieved on 2010-12-31.
- Capitals down Penguins in wet conditions at Winter Classic. The Sports Network (2011-01-01). Retrieved on 2011-01-02.
- Pardubice wins Open Air game at home. Czech Hockey Report (2011-01-02). Retrieved on 2011-01-07.
- Merk, Martin (2011-01-04). Hockey fiesta in Mexico. International Ice Hockey Federation. Retrieved on 2011-01-04.
- Trimmer, Dave (2011-01-15). Chiefs, outdoor game smashing success. The Spokseman-Review. Retrieved on 2011-01-15.
- Killeen, Mike. "Blazers take to the ice (outside)", January 17, 2011.
- Tulosseuranta: Jokerit 3–4 HIFK (Finnish). SM-liiga (2011-02-05). Retrieved on 2011-02-16.
- Box Score UConn 3 Sacred Heart 1 from UConn Athletic Website.
- Providence 4, UConn 3. uconnhuskies.com. UConn Athletic Website (February 13, 2011).
- Trinity vs. Wesleyan.
- Wesleyan vs. Trinity.
- Box Score Army 4, AIC 1 from Army Athletic Website.
- College game schedule for Whalers Hockey Fest announced. Connecticut Whale Hockey Club (2010-11-03). Retrieved on 2011-01-02.
- Jones, Terry. "Quelle difference!", Calgary Sun, 2011-02-20, p. HC14.
- The Canadian Press. "Bourque Scores Twice as Flames Down Habs at Heritage Classic", TSN.ca, 2011-02-20. Retrieved on 2011-02-20.
- Odland, Kristen (2011-02-21). Calgary Hitmen lose to Regina before record crowd. Calgary Herald. Retrieved on 2011-02-21.
- Slaget om Siljan. Retrieved on 2012-01-14.
- Fairbanks embraces outdoor game to its fullest. North America Hockey League (2010-03-15). Retrieved on 2011-01-02.
- Gustafsson, Peter (2011-12-10). En grym upplevelse (Swedish). Jönköpingsnytt. Retrieved on 2011-12-11.
- Hallgren, Rasmus (2011-12-10). Matchrapport: HV71-Linköping 0-1 efter förlängning (Swedish). Linköpings HC. Retrieved on 2011-12-11.
- Associated Press. "Rangers turn away Flyers as Mike Rupp, Henrik Lundqvist fuel Winter Classic rally", ESPN.com, 2012-01-02. Retrieved on 2012-01-03.
- "Matchups set for Frozen Fenway", Boston.com, 2011-08-27. Retrieved on 2011-09-14.
- Ohio State to play Michigan in hockey at Progressive Field on Jan. 15. The Canadian Press (2011-08-11). Retrieved on 2011-08-11.
- Frozen Diamond Faceoff: Ohio State Buckeyes and Michigan Wolverines hockey facts and histories. The Cleveland Plain Dealer (2012-01-15). Retrieved on 2012-02-08.
- OUA and Hamilton Bulldogs partner for OUA men's and women's hockey Outdoor Classic. Retrieved on 2012-01-17.
- Maple Leaf old-timers hang on for 6-5 win over Habs. Toronto Star (2012-01-21). Retrieved on 2012-01-21.
- Larsson, Patrik (2012-12-08). Iskall Lindholm – i iskallt Gävle (Swedish). Ged. Retrieved on 2013-01-06.
- Karlström, Andreas (2011-12-08). Nu vet Brynäs hur man ordnar en utomhusmatch (Swedish). Gefle Dagblad. Retrieved on 2011-12-11.
- "Deutsche Eishockey-Liga: Nürnberg siegt im "Winter Game"", Spiegel Online, 5 January 2013. Retrieved on 8 October 2014. (German)
- Official name and logo announced for the 2013 Frozen Frontier. ritathletics.com. Rochester Institute of Technology (2013-08-13).
- Gullbrand, Johannes (2013-12-14). Skellefteå segrare i julmatchen (Swedish). shl.se. Swedish Hockey League. Retrieved on 2013-12-14.
- Karlberg, Peter (2013-05-30). Frölunda HC möter Skellefteå AIK utomhus på Gamla Ullevi (Swedish). shl.se. Swedish Hockey League. Retrieved on 2013-06-24.
- "Bentley, Holy Cross to Play at Fenway Park", September 26, 2013.
- Allen, Kevin (2014-01-01). Maple Leafs win Winter Classic in shootout. USA Today. Retrieved on 2014-01-01.
- Cotsonika, Nick (2014-01-24). NHL won’t get credit for Guinness world record at Winter Classic. Yahoo! Sports. Retrieved on 2014-02-08.
- "Frozen Fenway 2014 official schedule released", September 26, 2013.
- "Beacons Freeze Salem State in Memorable Citi Frozen Fenway Matchup", January 10, 2014.
- "Trinity Loses To Williams 4-2 At Frozen Fenway", January 7, 2014.
- "No. 5 Norwich Edges No. 6 Men's Ice Hockey, 1-0, At Fenway Park", January 9, 2014.
- "River Hawks Frustrated at Frozen Fenway", January 11, 2014.
- "Lomberg, Shore and Hutton Tally Two Goals Each As Maine Skates Past BU 7-3 at Fenway Park", January 11, 2014.
- Lausanne Hockey Club. Lausanne Hockey Club "Winter Classic 2014", January 12, 2014.
- "Mavericks Bested by No. 1 Minnesota Friday at the Hockey City Classic", January 17, 2014.
- "Buckeyes Drop 1-0 Game to No. 1 Minnesota in Hockey City Classic", January 18, 2014.
- Helsingin Sanomat 2014-03-01
- "BGSU And Robert Morris To Play Outdoor Hockey Game", February 3, 2014.
- "DEL Winter Game bricht Europarekord: 51.125 Zuschauer in Düsseldorf", January 10, 2015. (German)
- Grant, Kylington and Shore Lead Heat to 3-2 Win at Raley Field. Stockton Heat (December 19, 2015). Retrieved on January 20, 2016.
- "Fans Brave Dropping Temperatures For NHL Stadium Series Game", KDKA, February 25, 2017. Retrieved on March 6, 2017.
|NHL Winter Classic|
|2008||Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Buffalo Sabres at Ralph Wilson Stadium|
|2009||Detroit Red Wings vs. Chicago Blackhawks at Wrigley Field|
|2010||Philadelphia Flyers vs. Boston Bruins at Fenway Park|
|2011||Washington Capitals vs Pittsburgh Penguins at Heinz Field|
|2012||New York Rangers vs Philadelphia Flyers at Citizens Bank Park|
|2014||Toronto Maple Leafs vs Detroit Red Wings at Michigan Stadium|
|2015||Chicago Blackhawks vs Washington Capitals at Nationals Park|
|2016||Montreal Canadiens vs Boston Bruins at Gillette Stadium|
|2017||Chicago Blackhawks vs St. Louis Blues at Busch Stadium|
|2018||New York Rangers vs Buffalo Sabres at Citi Field|
|2019||Boston Bruins vs Chicago Blackhawks at Notre Dame Stadium|
|2020||Nashville Predators vs Dallas Stars at Cotton Bowl|
|2022||St. Louis Blues vs Minnesota Wild at Target Field|
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at List of outdoor ice hockey games. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Ice Hockey Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|