|6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
225 lb (102 kg)
|New York Islanders|
|Born||January 19, 1984,|
Edmonton, AB, CAN
|NHL Draft||61st overall, 2002|
|Pro Career||2004 – present|
Playing Career[edit | edit source]
Boychuk was drafted 61st overall in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft by the Colorado Avalanche. Prior to being drafted Boychuk was a product of the WHL Calgary Hitmen. Boychuk made his professional debut with the Hershey Bears in the 2004–05 season.
Boychuk spent the next four years in the Avalanche organization playing primarily for their AHL affiliations. Boychuk made his NHL debut in the 2007–08 season on the January 5, 2008 against the New York Islanders. Boychuk, a defenceman, made his debut as a forward playing on the wing.
On June 24, 2008, Boychuk was traded to the Boston Bruins in exchange for Matt Hendricks. Boychuk was assigned to the Providence Bruins to start the 2008–09 season and in his first week was named "AHL Player of the Week". On December 1, 2008, Boychuk was recalled to Boston and made his Bruins debut in a 3-1 victory over the Tampa Bay Lightning on December 4, 2008. Boychuk was then returned to Providence for the rest of the season where he enjoyed a breakout season, capturing the Eddie Shore Award by leading the league with 20 goals and 45 assists among defenceman and being named in the AHL's First All-Star Team.
Career Statistics[edit | edit source]
|2002–03||Moose Jaw Warriors||WHL||27||5||17||22||32||13||2||6||8||29|
|2003–04||Moose Jaw Warriors||WHL||62||13||20||33||71||10||1||9||10||9|
|2005–06||Lowell Lock Monsters||AHL||74||6||26||32||73||—||—||—||—||—|
|2006–07||Albany River Rats||AHL||80||10||18||28||125||5||1||1||2||4|
|2007–08||Lake Erie Monsters||AHL||60||8||18||26||63||—||—||—||—||—|
Awards and Honours[edit | edit source]
|American Hockey League|
|First All-Star Team||2009|
|Eddie Shore Award||2009|
|National Hockey League|
References[edit | edit source]
- Boychuk debut. Denver Post (2008-01-05). Retrieved on 2008-10-22.
- Boston acquires Johnny Boychuk. NHL.com (2008-06-24). Retrieved on 2008-10-23.
- Boychuk named Reebock AHL Player of the Week. MLN Sports (2008-10-21). Retrieved on 2008-10-23.
- B's recall Boychuk and Lashoff. bruins.nhl.com (2008-12-01). Retrieved on 2008-12-06.
- "Newest Bruins all right against Lightning", boston.com, 2008-12-06. Retrieved on 2008-12-06.
- Boychuks manly performance has powered Providence. thebruinsblog.net (2009-04-07). Retrieved on 2009-05-31.
- Shinzawa, Fluto. "Boychuk is next in line on the Bruins' blueline", The Boston Globe, 2009-09-04. Retrieved on 2009-09-04.
- "Johnny Boychuk and the Boston Bruins win the Stanley Cup". Calgary Hitmen (2011-06-16). Retrieved on 2011-06-16.
External Links[edit | edit source]
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Johnny Boychuk. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Ice Hockey Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|