|Born||6 August 1997,|
|6 ft 3 in (0 m)|
185 lb (84 kg; 13)
|NHL team||Florida Panthers|
|NHL Draft||23rd overall, 2016|
Kurt Henrik Mikael Borgström (born August 6, 1997) is a Finnish professional ice hockey player, currently playing for the Florida Panthers of the National Hockey League (NHL). Borgström was selected by the Florida Panthers in the 1st round (23rd overall) of the 2016 NHL Entry Draft. He formerly played hockey at the the University of Denver in the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) for two seasons.
Playing career[edit | edit source]
Junior[edit | edit source]
Before playing hockey at the University of Denver, Borgström played hockey within the junior program of HIFK. He played two seasons for HIFK's Under 18 team and one for the Under 20 team. In his first season for the U18 team, in 2013-14, he played in 30 games, scoring 8 goals and 12 assists. In his second season he played in 21 games, scoring 12 goals and 25 assists for 37 points.
Due to his outstanding play with the Under 18 team, Borgström was promoted to HIFK's U20 team. During the season, he appeared in 40 games, adding 55 points with 29 goals and 26 assists. He did not return the following season, leaving Finland and committing to Denver so he could further develop his hockey career.
Amateur[edit | edit source]
Borgström played his first season at Denver in 2016-17. He scored 43 points in 37 games and was named the National Collegiate Athletic Association's Rookie of the Year and was also named to the league's West First-Team All-American. He also helped lead the team to the 2017 NCAA Championship.
In his second season with Denver, in 2017-18, he played in 40 games and added 23 goals and 29 assists for 52 points. Borgström was named a finalist for the Hobey Baker Award at the end of the 2017-18 season. He was also named NCHC Player and Forward of the Year.
Professional[edit | edit source]
Borgström went undrafted at the 2015 NHL Entry Draft. Despite being ranked as a potential 3rd-round pick, he was drafted in the 1st round, 23rd overall of the 2016 NHL Entry Draft by the Florida Panthers. On March 26, 2018 signed a three-year, entry-level contract with the Panthers.
Career statistics[edit | edit source]
Regular season and playoffs[edit | edit source]
|2016–17||University of Denver||NCHC||37||22||21||43||16||—||—||—||—||—|
International[edit | edit source]
Awards and honours[edit | edit source]
|AHCA West First-Team All-American||2016–17|||
|NCHC Rookie of the Year||2016–17|
|NCHC Player of the Year||2017–18|
|NCHC Forward of the Year||2017–18|
References[edit | edit source]
- College commitment announced. Twitter (2016-04-05). Retrieved on 2018-04-04.
- Henrik Borgström Named NCHC Rookie of the Year. finnishjuniorhockey.com (2017-03-17). Retrieved on 2018-04-04.
- Denver wins NCAA hockey title with 3-2 victory over Minnesota Duluth. Chicago Tribune (2017-04-09). Retrieved on 2018-04-04.
- DU standout Henrik Borgström nominated for the Hobey Baker Award. milehighhockey.com (2018-03-29). Retrieved on 2018-04-04.
- Denver's Henrik Borgstrom named NCHC Player of the Year. Star Tribune (2018-03-15). Retrieved on 2018-04-04.
- Tanner Jaillet & Henrik Borgström honored with NCHC awards. milehighhockey.com (2018-03-15). Retrieved on 2018-04-04.
- Panthers select Finnish center Henrik Borgstrom in first round. Sun-Sentinel (2016-06-24). Retrieved on 2018-04-04.
- Panthers sign Henrik Borgstrom to entry-level contract (26 March 2018). Retrieved on 4 April 2018.
- Down to the wire: Panthers look to keep playoff hopes alive in Boston (31 March 2018). Retrieved on 4 April 2018.
- "2016–2017 All-American Team", The American Hockey Coaches Association. Retrieved on 2018-04-04.