|Born||July 1, 1994,|
Keswick, Ontario, Canada
|6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
195 lb (88 kg; 13 st 13 lb)
San Jose Sharks
|NHL Draft||55th overall, 2012|
San Jose Sharks
Chris Tierney (born July 1, 1994) is a Canadian professional ice hockey centre currently playing for the Ottawa Senators of the National Hockey League (NHL). He was drafted by the San Jose Sharks 55th overall in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
Playing career[edit | edit source]
Junior[edit | edit source]
During the 2012–13 season, the Knights won the J. Ross Robertson Cup. Tierney finished the playoffs with 21 points in 21 games. The Knights lost in the semi-finals to the Portland Winterhawks during the Memorial Cup.
Tierney concluded his major junior career during the 2013–14 season. He finished his Knights' career with 191 points in 247 games.
Professional[edit | edit source]
Tierney turned professional during the 2014–15 season. He made the Sharks' opening night roster and recorded his first career point (an assist) in his debut on October 8. On February 5, 2015, Tierney scored his first career NHL goal in a 5–1 win over the Vancouver Canucks. Tierney also spent time with the Sharks' American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate, the Worcester Sharks.
Tierney spent the entirety of the 2015–16 season with the Sharks, appearing in 79 games. He also played in an additional 24 games during the 2016 Stanley Cup playoffs. The Sharks reached the Stanley Cup Finals, losing to the Pittsburgh Penguins in six games.
On July 11, 2017, the Sharks signed Tierney to a one-year, one-way contract extension worth $735,000.
On July 18, 2018, Tierney signed a two-year contract extension with the Sharks. Prior to the 2018–19 season, having reported to the Sharks 2018 training camp, he was traded to the Ottawa Senators on September 13, 2018, as part of a package for superstar defenceman Erik Karlsson.
Career statistics[edit | edit source]
|2014–15||San Jose Sharks||NHL||43||6||15||21||6||—||—||—||—||—|
|2015–16||San Jose Sharks||NHL||79||7||13||20||20||24||5||4||9||6|
|2016–17||San Jose Sharks||NHL||80||11||12||23||6||6||0||1||1||0|
|2017–18||San Jose Sharks||NHL||82||17||23||40||8||10||0||2||2||2|
References[edit | edit source]
- Sharks select Chris Tierney with No. 55 pick. fearthefin.com (June 23, 2012). Retrieved on June 23, 2012.
- Sharks sign center Chris Tierney to entry-level deal. San Jose Sharks (April 2, 2013). Retrieved on April 2, 2013.
- Chris Tierney game log 2014–15. HockeyReference.com (June 7, 2015). Retrieved on February 3, 2017.
- Sharks 5, Canucks 1 boxscore. HockeyReference.com (February 5, 2015). Retrieved on February 5, 2015.
- Sharks re-sign Chris Tierney to 1-year deal. National Post (July 11, 2017). Retrieved on July 11, 2017.
- Sharks Re-Sign Forward Chris Tierney. nhl.com. Retrieved on July 18, 2018.
- Sharks Acquire Two-Time Norris Trophy-Winning Erik Karlsson from Senators (September 13, 2018). Retrieved on September 13, 2018.