The Atlantic Region is an designation used by Hockey Canada in qualifying for several of its tournaments under its authority.
It contains the provinces of New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island. Due to the small population of the region it has traditionally had its own regional qualifiers as well as it's own regional governing body, the Maritime Amateur Hockey Association, which oversaw qualifying to make national events such as the Centennial Cup Memorial Cup, Allan Cup, and Hardy Cup.
Teams from Newfoundland and Labrador were not eligible to compete in national tournaments in Canada until the then Newfoundland Amateur Hockey Association being accepted into the then Canadian Amateur Hockey Association until 1966.
It is used for the following tournaments:
- Allan Cup (Canadian Men's Senior AAA Championship)
- Centennial Cup (Canadian Junior A Championship)(Atlantic and Eastern Regions are combined along with Eastern Ontario)
- Esso Cup (Canadian Women's Midget AAA Championship)
- Telus Cup (Canadian Men's Midget AAA Championship)
See Also[edit | edit source]
- Pacific Region (Canada)
- Western Region (Canada)
- Central Region (Canada)
- Eastern Region (Canada)
- Hockey New Brunswick formerly New Brunswick Amateur Hockey Association
- Hockey Newfoundland and Labrador formerly Newfoundland Amateur Hockey Association
- Hockey Nova Scotia
- Hockey PEI
- Hockey Canada
- International Ice Hockey Federation