|Former names||BladeRunners Ice Complex|
Bethel Park, Pennsylvania
The Alpha Ice Complex formerly the BladeRunners Ice Complex is a group of ice hockey rinks and sports facilities in Western Pennsylvania. The BladeRunners first location opened in Harmarville, Pennsylvania in 1992; it was the first twin-ice facility in the Pittsburgh region. Two other locations opened in Warrendale, Pennsylvania in 1994 and in Bethel Park, Pennsylvania in 1995. The Harmarville location gained a third rink in 2003.
BladeRunners hosted the 2005 American Collegiate Hockey Association Division III Men’s National Hockey Championships and the USA in-line Girl’s 16 and under national team. It is the home ice for several collegiate hockey programs, including Slippery Rock University, California University of Pennsylvania, and Pittsburgh Panthers.
In 2012, the owners considered selling the Warrendale facility to the Grace Community Church. However, the sale did not proceed and nearly all tenants returned. In 2015, all of BladeRunners' locations were sold: the Warrendale rink became Baierl Ice Complex, the Harmarville location became Alpha Ice Complex, and Bethel Park location underwent a conversion to a YMCA.
Leagues[edit | edit source]
Bladerunners Ice Complex hosts a variety of ice hockey leagues, from junior age to college.
- PIHL (Pennsylvania high school league)
- American Collegiate Hockey Association – College Hockey Mid-America
- North Pittsburgh Hockey League
- Various inline and ice hockey adult leagues
Other activities[edit | edit source]
Select Bladerunners Ice Complexes offer on-ice bumper cars. Figure skating, sticktimes, pickup hockey, learn to skate, learn to play hockey, and various other activities are also offered.
Former Tenants[edit | edit source]
Several teams called their Bladerunners their home rink:
- Bethel Park High School
- Shaler Area High School
- Mars Area High School
- North Allegheny High School
- Fox Chapel High School
- Seneca Valley High School
- University of Pittsburgh
- California University of Pennsylvania
- Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania
- South Allegheny School District
References[edit | edit source]
- Sciullo, Maria. "Zoning puts chill on ice rink land in Bethel Park", March 16, 2012. Retrieved on August 3, 2012.
- "Where to go ... BladeRunners Ice Complex", July 3, 2012. Retrieved on August 3, 2012.
- History. BladeRunners Ice Complex. Retrieved on August 3, 2012.
- Links. BladeRunners Ice Complex. Retrieved on August 3, 2012.
- Kissel, Jennifer. "Youth hockey may be out in cold if Marshall rink is sold", March 15, 2012. Retrieved on August 3, 2012. /
- Conway, Rachael. "Church bid to use ice skating facility rejected in Marshall", March 15, 2012. Retrieved on August 3, 2012.
- Conway, Rachael. "Skating rink to remain; former tenants to return", July 3, 2012. Retrieved on August 3, 2012.