|City:||South River, Ontario, Canada|
|League:||Greater Metro Junior A Hockey League|
|Home Arena:||South River-Machar Arena|
|Colors:||Green, Black, and White|
|General Manager:||David Forde|
|Head Coach:||Myles Pepin (2015-16)|
The Almaguin Spartans are a Canadian Junior ice hockey team based in South River, Ontario, Canada. They play in the Greater Metro Junior A Hockey League. They were originally the Mattawa Voyageurs of Mattawa, Ontario.
History[edit | edit source]
The Voyageurs were announced in the spring of 2011.
On September 16, 2011, the Voyageurs played their first ever game, at home, against the Bobcaygeon Bucks. The Voyageurs would end up losing the game in a shootout 5-4, but picked up a point for their regulation tie. On the 18th, at home again, the Voyageurs picked up their first ever win 5-4 in overtime over the Algoma Avalanche.
In March 2015 Myles Pepin was promoted from assistant coach and was named the team's new head coach.
The team would win their first nine games of the 2018 playoffs and then defeated the St. George Ravens in six games to claim the Russell Cup championship.
Season-by-season records[edit | edit source]
|Season||GP||W||L||T||OTL||GF||GA||Pts||Regular Season Finish||Playoffs|
|2011–12||42||19||21||—||2||170||206||40||9th GMHL||Lost Bye Round|
|2012–13||42||10||30||1||1||169||289||22||14th GMHL||Lost Division Quarter-finals|
|2013–14||42||16||24||—||2||185||279||34||14th GMHL||Lost Division Quarter-finals|
|2014–15||42||16||24||—||2||196||211||26||4th North Div.||Lost Elimination Qualifier|
|2015–16||42||34||7||-||1||267||107||69||3rd North Div.||Lost Championship play-in game|
|2016–17||42||23||15||-||3||164||154||49||6th North Div.||Lost Division Quarterfinals|
|2017–18||42||31||11||-||0||217||145||62||1st North Div.||Russell Cup Champions|
|2018–19||42||21||19||-||2||183||187||44||5th North Div.||Lost Division Quarterfinals|
|2019–20||42||18||21||-||3||191||218||39||7th North Div.||Lost Division Quarterfinals|
|2020-21||Unable to get in any games due to local restrictions related to COVID-19 pandemic|
Playoffs[edit | edit source]
- Orangeville Americans defeated Mattawa Voyageurs 2-games-to-none in bye round
- Temiscaming Titans defeated Mattawa Voyageurs 3-games-to-none in division quarter-finals
- South Muskoka Shield defeated Mattawa Voyageurs 3-games-to-none in division quarter-finals
- Sturgeon Falls Lumberjacks defeated Almaguin Spartans 5–4 (OT) in the North Division Elimination Qualifier Game
- Almaguin Spartans defeated Bracebridge Blues 3-games-to-1 in division quarter-finals
- Almaguin Spartans defeated Temiscaming Titans 3-games-to-1 in division semi-finals
- Almaguin Spartans defeated South Muskoka Shield 4-games-to-2 in division finals
- Almaguin Spartans 1–3 in Russell Cup Round Robin (Lost 1–4 vs. Steam, Lost 1–5 vs. Kings, Lost 1–7 vs. Kings, Won 4–3 vs. Steam)
- Tottenham Steam defeated Almaguin Spartans 7–2 in the Russell Cup Championship play-in game.
- South Muskoka Shield defeated Almaguin Spartans 3-games-to-2 in division quarter-finals
- Almaguin Spartans defeated South Muskoka Shield 2-games-to-none in division quarter-finals
- Almaguin Spartans defeated Temiscaming Titans 3-games-to-none in division semi-finals
- Almaguin Spartans defeated Bradford Rattlers 4-games-to-none in division finals
- Almaguin Spartans defeated St. George Ravens 4-games-to-2 in Russell Cup finals