This is the 2019-20 Western Collegiate Hockey Association men's season. This is the league's 68th season.
- None, but reports surfaced that the membership of the conference based in the upper midwest have notified the conference that they are exploring the formation of a new conference possibly for the 2021-22 season. The move excludes the two Alaska schools and Alabama-Huntsville. This would come to fruition as the Central Collegiate Hockey Association will be reformed for the 2021-22 season.
- An ongoing budget crisis in Alaska has lead to the possibility of the two Alaska schools having their athletic programs combined if not cancelled outright, the two schools will play as two programs for at least the 2019-20 season, The Alaska anchorage Seawolves would move to a much smaller arena on campus for the 2019-20 season. Plans are in the works to expand the facilities capacity to as much as 3,000. The two Alaska schools were also doing away with the travel subsidy given to visiting teams with the 2019-20 season.
- On May 22, 2020 the University of Alabama, Huntsville announced that they were discontinuing the men's ice hockey program effective immediately citing financial constraints caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. The Chargers became the first men's Division I program to be ended since Wayne State University ended their program in 2008.
|Western Collegiate Hockey Association||Overall Record|
|Minnesota State Mavericks||28||23||4||1||115||38||71||38||31||5||2||153||56|
|Bemidji State Beavers||28||20||5||3||101||46||65||37||22||10||5||119||71|
|Northern Michigan Black Bears||28||16||11||1||92||87||50||38||18||16||4||119||120|
|Bowling Green Falcons||28||14||10||4||85||70||49||38||21||13||4||119||96|
|Michigan Tech Huskies||28||14||12||2||68||65||44||39||21||15||3||104||89|
|Lake Superior Lakers||28||11||13||4||66||77||41||41||14||23||4||96||120|
|Alaska Anchorage Seawolves||28||4||18||6||56||96||21||36||4||25||7||69||134|
|Ferris State Bulldogs||28||5||21||2||54||100||17||35||7||26||2||70||127|
The top 8 teams qualify for the conference tournament. The quarterfinal round and quarterfinal and semifinal rounds are a best-of-three series held at the rink of the higher seeded team. Teams are reseeded after each round. The final round is a single "sudden death" game held at the home arena of the higher seeded team. The winner of the conference tournament earns the conference's automatic bid to the 2020 NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Tournament.
Cancellation of TournamentEdit
The conference announced it would be cancelling its tournament on March 12th due to the COVID-19 global pandemic.
- Minnesota State Mavericks defeated Alaska Anchorage Seawolves 2 games to none
- Bemidji State Beavers defeated Lake Superior Lakers 2 games to 1
- Michigan Tech Huskies defeated Northern Michigan Black Bears 2 games to none
- Bowling Green Falcons defeated Alaska-Fairbanks Nanooks 2 games to