This is the 2019-20 Big Ten Conference men's ice hockey season. This is the conference's 7th season.
Membership changes[edit | edit source]
Membership[edit | edit source]
Standings[edit | edit source]
|Big Ten Conference||Overall Record|
|Penn State Nittany Lions||24||12||8||4||79||70||41||34||20||10||4||121||88|
|Ohio State Buckeyes||24||11||9||4||62||62||38||36||20||11||5||102||82|
|Minnesota Golden Gophers||24||9||8||7||66||62||38||37||16||14||7||100||98|
|Notre Dame Fighting Irish||24||9||9||6||59||59||37||37||15||15||7||94||96|
|Michigan State Spartans||24||11||11||2||54||54||35||36||15||19||2||80||88|
Conference Tournament[edit | edit source]
Format[edit | edit source]
Due to the poor attendance of the neutral site tournaments, and the addition of Notre Dame as a Big Ten team in hockey, the 2019 tournament introduced a new three-week playoff format. In the first round, the No. 1 team in the regular season conference standings receives a bye, and the remaining six play in a set of best-of-three series. The winners of these three playoff series, along with the No. 1 team, will then participate in two semifinal games. Their winners will advance to the Big Ten championship game.. The tournament champion advances to the 2020 NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Tournament.
All games will be held at the home arena of the highest seed in each match-up, rather than a neutral site. Unlike other playoff-style conference tournaments in college hockey, the Big Ten will only use single-game semifinals and finals to reduce the likelihood of conflicts with other events that may be scheduled at team arenas.
Cancellation of Tournament[edit | edit source]
The conference announced it would be cancelling its tournament on March 12th due to the COVID-19 global pandemic.
Quarterfinals[edit | edit source]
- Ohio State Buckeyes defeated Wisconsin Badgers 2 games to none
- Michigan Wolverines defeated Michigan State Spartans 2 games to none
- Minnesota Golden Gophers defeated Notre Dame Fighting Irish 2 games to 1
References[edit | edit source]
- Big Ten Announces Conference Schedule for 2017-18 Hockey Season. Big Ten Conference (May 4, 2017). Retrieved on 21 June 2017.
- Dilks, Chris (September 30, 2016). Big Ten Officially Approves On-Campus Playoffs. Retrieved on 20 June 2017.
- Gonzalez, Jason (May 20, 2016). Big Ten hockey in process of approving new on-campus playoff format. Retrieved on 20 June 2017.