This is the 2017-18 Greater Metro Junior A Hockey League season. This is the league's 12th season.
- The league added a team in Fergus, Ontario for the 2017-18 season that will be name the Fergus Force. Fergus last had junior hockey in 2014-15 when the Fergus Devils played in the Georgian Mid-Ontario Junior C Hockey League prior to taking a leave of absence for 2015-16 and then not returning for the 2016-17 season.
- On March 11, 2017 the league announced the addition of the Ville-Marie Pirates for the 2017-18 season. The team will be based out of the Olympia de Ville-Marie Arena
- On March 20, 2017 the league announced that the Wiarton Schooners were being added to the league as an expansion team.
- The Windsor Aces were added as an expansion team
- In late May 2017; the Toronto Attack were quietly removed from the league website
- On August 31, 2017 the league issued a release stating that the Parry Sound Islanders would be taking a leave of absence for the 2017-18 season and that the club retains the option of rejoining the league for the 2018-19 season. The team ownership who also owns two other teams in the league announced that the team had been merged with the Seguin Huskies. The merged teams will be based out of Humphrey.
- Sometime between the night of October 14 and the morning of October 17 the Wiarton Schooners folded. The team has lost a game on October 14 and then forfeited games on October 15 and 16. The team had a record of 0-8-0 prior to the two forfeits.
- The GMHL announced that the Fergus Force folded on November 22. The Force recorded a record of 1-16-0 before folding.
- On April 13, 2018 the league announced the addition of the Ottawa Sharpshooters formerly of the Canadian Premier Junior Hockey League for the 2018-19 season.
- On April 19, 2018 the Wiarton Schooners announced their intention of returning to the league for the 2018-19 season. The team announced they were accepting applications for players for the 2018-19 season and brought in more staff to operate the team.
- The Seguin Huskies folded some time in May of 2018.
|Parry Sound Islanders||2008||Parry Sound||Bobby Orr Community Centre|
Fold During SeasonEdit
|Fergus Force||2017||Fergus||Centre Wellington Community Sportsplex|
|Wiarton Schooners||2017||Wiarton||Wiarton Arena & Community Centre|
|Knights of Meaford||42||22||15||5||207||164||49|
|New Tecumseth Civics||42||23||18||1||199||165||47|
|West Nipissing Lynx||42||15||24||3||198||228||33|
|South Muskoka Shield||42||14||24||4||143||173||32|
|Fergus Force (fold 11/22)||17||1||16||0||35||149||2|
|Wiarton Schooners (fold 10/14)||10||0||10||0||13||144||0|
note: Wiarton Schooners total included 2 3-0 forfeits October 15 and 16, 2017
|St. George Ravens||42||38||3||1||404||136||77|
|North York Renegades||42||29||9||4||218||134||62|
Russell Cup PlayoffsEdit
All teams qualify. Teams are re-seeded after each round. Single elimination rounds are held until both conferences are down to 8 teams. The division quarterfinals are best-of-three. The division semifinals are best-of-five. The division final and Russell Cup final are best-of-seven.
North Preliminary RoundEdit
South Preliminary Round 1Edit
South Preliminary Round 2Edit
South Preliminary Round 3Edit
- Bradford Rattlers defeated West Nipissing Lynx 2 games to none
- Almaguin Spartans defeated South Muskoka Shield 2 games to none
- Temiscaming Titans defeated Meaford Knights 2 games to none
- Ville-Marie Pirates defeated Meaford Knights 2 games to none
- St. George Ravens defeated Toronto Predators 2 games to none
- Kingsville Kings defeated Northumberland Stars 2 games to none
- Niagara Whalers defeated Windsor Aces 2 games to none
- Bradford Bulls defeated North York Renegades 2 games to 1
- Bradford Rattlers defeated Ville-Marie Pirates 3 games to 2
- Almaguin Spartans defeated Temiscaming Titans 3 games to none
- St. George Ravens defeated Bradford Bulls 3 games to none
- Niagara Whalers defeated Kingsville Kings 3 games to none
Russell Cup FinalEdit
- ↑ https://thejuniorhockeynews.com/the-death-pool-special-report-gmhls-wiarton-schooners-are-sunk/
- ↑ http://gmhl.net/article.php?article_id=57041
- ↑ http://www.wiartonschooners.com/story/64/player-applications
- ↑ https://thejuniorhockeynews.com/the-death-pool-seguin-huskies-shot-out-back-behind-the-barn/