This is the 2017-18 Big Ten Conference men's ice hockey season. This is the conference's 5th season.
Change in Conference Tournament Format[edit | edit source]
Due to the poor attendance of the neutral site tournaments, and the addition of Notre Dame as a Big Ten team in hockey, the 2018 tournament will introduce a new three-week playoff format. In the first round, the No. 1 team in the regular season conference standings receives a bye, and the remaining six play in a set of best-of-three series. The winners of these three playoff series, along with the No. 1 team, will then participate in two semifinal games. Their winners will advance to the Big Ten championship game.
All games will be held at the home arena of the highest seed in each match-up, rather than a neutral site. Unlike other playoff-style conference tournaments in college hockey, the Big Ten will only use single-game semifinals and finals to reduce the likelihood of conflicts with other events that may be scheduled at team arenas.
Membership changes[edit | edit source]
- The University of Notre Dame announced that the men's hockey program will leave Hockey East after the 2016-17 season and join the Big Ten Conference as an associate member for men's ice hockey only.
Membership[edit | edit source]
Standings[edit | edit source]
|Big Ten Conference||Overall Record|
|Notre Dame Fighting Irish||24||17||6||1||66||47||53||40||28||10||2||117||87|
|Ohio State Buckeyes||24||14||8||2||77||55||45||41||26||10||5||131||85|
|Penn State Nittany Lions||24||9||10||5||76||73||34||38||18||15||5||138||120|
|Minnesota Golden Gophers||24||10||12||2||65||69||33||38||19||17||2||102||100|
|Michigan State Spartans||24||6||16||2||53||77||21||36||12||22||2||91||117|
Conference Tournament[edit | edit source]
Format[edit | edit source]
Quarterfinals[edit | edit source]
- Ohio State Buckeyes defeated Michigan State Spartans 2 games to none
- Michigan Wolverines defeated Wisconsin Badgers 2 games to none
- Penn State Nittany Lions defeated Minnesota Golden Gophers 2 games to none
Semifinals[edit | edit source]
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish defeated Penn State Nittany Lions 3-2
- Ohio State Buckeyes defeated Michigan Wolverines 3-2
Final[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Big Ten Announces Conference Schedule for 2017-18 Hockey Season. Big Ten Conference (May 4, 2017). Retrieved on 21 June 2017.
- Dilks, Chris (September 30, 2016). Big Ten Officially Approves On-Campus Playoffs. Retrieved on 20 June 2017.
- Gonzalez, Jason (May 20, 2016). Big Ten hockey in process of approving new on-campus playoff format. Retrieved on 20 June 2017.