This is the 2016-17 Federal Hockey League season. This is the league's 7th season.
- The Watertown Wolves return to the league after being forced to sit out the 2015-16 season due to extensive renovations at the Watertown Municipal Arena and being unable to find a suitable facility to be able to use within 40 miles of Watertown.
- On May 1, 2016 the league announce the addition of a team based in St. Clair Shores, Michigan to play out of the St. Clair Shores Civic Arena. The team later announced they would be named the St. Clair Shores Fighting Saints.
- The Dayton Demolition fold when a new ownership group is unable to get organized in time to be able to play for the 2016-17 season and being unable to secure an arena with dates for the season. The organization had been taken over operations of the team when the ownership group was terminated on January 17, 2016.
- The Brewster Bulldogs owner Bruce Bennett announced the team was suspending operations for the 2016-17 season due to the strain caused by running two organizations at this level. He stated the team may be back for 2017-18 after having talks with the Brewster Ice Arena and an unnamed gentleman.
- On August 19, 2016 the league announced an expansion team to be based out of the Lawrence Joel Coliseum Annex to begin play with the 2017-18 season. The team was later announced to be named the Carolina Thunderbirds
- On September 16, 2016 the league announced another expansion team to be based out of the Ed Lumley Arena in Cornwall, Ontario. The team announced that they would be called the Cornwall Nationals. The team wil start play with the 2016-17 season.
- On May 17, 2017 the league website announced that the Berlin River Drivers had ceased operations due to increased overhead costs and lack of season ticket sales.
Teams for 2016-17 season
The league has seven teams based in the northeast and upper Midwest portions of the United States playing for the 2016-17 season.
|Berlin River Drivers||2015||Notre Dame Arena||1,680||Berlin, New Hampshire|
|Cornwall Nationals||2016||Cornwall Civic Complex||5,000||Cornwall, Ontario|
|Danbury Titans||2015||Danbury Ice Arena||3,005||Danbury, Connecticut|
|Danville Dashers||2011||David S. Palmer Arena||2,350||Danville, Illinois|
|Port Huron Prowlers||2015||McMorran Place||3,400||Port Huron, Michigan|
|St. Clair Shores Fighting Saints||2016||St Clair Shores Civic Arena||1,000||St. Clair Shores, Michigan|
|Watertown Wolves||2014||Watertown Municipal Arena||2,000||Watertown, New York|
|Carolina Thunderbirds||2016||LJVM Coliseum Annex||4,000||Winston-Salem, North Carolina|
|Berlin River Drivers||56||28||21||3||4||236||195||94||.560|
|Port Huron Prowlers||56||23||21||3||9||224||213||84||.500|
|St. Clair Shores Fighting Saints||55||11||40||3||1||142||260||40||.242|
Commissioner's Cup Playoffs
The top four teams qualify for the playoffs. The first place team plays the fourth place team and the second place team plays the third place team in the best of three semifinals and the semifinal winners meet in the best of five final.
- Danville Dashers defeated Watertown Wolves 2 games to 1
- Berlin River Drivers defeated Danbury Titans 2 games to none