This is the 2015-16 Northern Ontario Junior Hockey League season. This was the league's 46th season overall dating back to the founding of the NOHA Junior B Hockey League in 1970, and the league's 39th season under this name.
The league schedule will commence on September 11, 2015 and end of March 9, 2016.
The press release of the schedule made special mention of a Family Day match-up between the Soo Thunderbirds and the Soo Eagles being held at Pullar Stadium in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan (the home of the Eagles) and the Thunderbirds will serve as the home team.
- 1 Membership Changes
- 2 Division Alignment
- 3 Standings
- 4 Copeland Cup-McNamara Trophy Playoffs
Membership Changes[edit | edit source]
- The Iroquois Falls based Abitibi Eskimos relocated to Timmins where they were renamed the Timmins Rock.
- The Sudbury Nickel Barons relocated to Rayside-Balfour where they were renamed the Rayside-Balfour Canadians.
- The Mattawa Blackhawks relocated to Iroquois Falls and became the Iroquois Falls Eskis
- The Espanola Express were added as an expansion team.
- The French River Rapids were added as an expansion team.
- The Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan based Soo Eagles return to the league after having left the league to join the North American Hockey League in 2012.
Division Alignment[edit | edit source]
Standings[edit | edit source]
|Kirkland Lake Gold Miners||54||39||19||1||2||-||247||135||728||81|
|Iroquois Falls Eskis||54||15||39||0||0||-||163||310||758||30|
|French River Rapids||54||2||49||1||2||-||124||347||602||7|
|Elliot Lake Wildcats||54||34||13||2||5||-||223||144||633||75|
|Blind River Beavers||54||10||40||0||4||-||139||326||745||24|
Copeland Cup-McNamara Trophy Playoffs[edit | edit source]
Format[edit | edit source]
The league announced the 2016 playoff format on February 4th. The top five teams in each division qualify for the playoffs. The number 4 and five seeds in each division meet in a best-of-three series. The winning teams meet the number 1 seed in the best-of-seven division semi-finals. The division finals and league final are also best-of-seven series. The playoff champion will advance to the 2016 Dudley Hewitt Cup (and the other finalist if the Kirkland Lake Gold Miners win the playoffs) which is being held in Kirkland Lake and being hosted by the Gold Miners who qualify as host. The tournament was originally awarded to Sudbury, Ontario to be hosted by the Sudbury Nickel Barons on October 7, 2014; but the team announced they were relocating to Rayside-Balfour prior to the 2015-16 season and there was deemed to be little support in the community of Sudbury. The tournament was then re-awarded to Kirkland Lake on April 27, 2015. The winner of the Dudley Hewitt Cup advances to the 2016 Royal Bank Cup being held in Lloydminster, Saskatchewan.
Eastern Division Preliminary Round[edit | edit source]
Western Division Preliminary Round[edit | edit source]
Eastern Division Semifinals[edit | edit source]
- Cochrane Crunch defeated Timmins Rock 4 games to none (4-1, 12-2, 6-4, 5-2)
- Kirkland Lake Gold Miners defeated Powassan Voodoos 4 games to 2 (2-1 (3ot), 3-4, 6-1, 2-1 (ot), 1-6, 4-1)
Western Division Semifinals[edit | edit source]
- Soo Thunderbirds defeated Soo Eagles 4 games to none (9-3, 6-0, 1-0, 2-0)
- Elliot Lake Wildcats defeated Rayside-Balfour Canadians 4 games to 1 (3-0, 5-4, 4-3, 4-10, 9-2)