These events occured in 2004 in the world of hockey:
- 2004 Women's World Ice Hockey Championships at Halifax, Nova Scotia – Canada defeats USA 2-0 in the final
- 2004 Men's World Ice Hockey Championships held at Prague – Canada defeats Sweden 5-3 in the final
- Stanley Cup – Tampa Bay Lightning defeats Calgary Flames 4 games to 3
- 2004 World Cup of Hockey held at Toronto – Canada 3-2 Finland
- February 12 – An independent audit by Arthur Levitt reveals that National Hockey League teams lost a collective US$273 million in 2003, and suggests the league is "on the road to oblivion."
- May 22nd: The Idaho Steelheads win the Kelly Cup by defeating the Florida Everblades 4 games to 1 in the Kelly Cup finals.
- September 15 – NHL collective bargaining agreement expires. Commissioner Gary Bettman announces a lockout of NHLPA players.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.