|Coaches||Detroit: Scotty Bowman |
Carolina: Paul Maurice
|Captains||Detroit: Steve Yzerman |
Carolina: Ron Francis
|Dates||June 4-June 13, 2002|
|Most Valuable Player||Niklas Lidstrom|
|Networks||ABC, CBC, ESPN, RDS, NASN|
Road to the Finals
1As of 2007, the playoff game on June 8, 2002 between Detroit and Carolina is the 18th longest NHL overtime game. 54 minutes and 47 seconds of overtime were played before Igor Larionov of Detroit scored the game-winning goal. It is also the longest home debut in Stanley Cup Finals history. Larionov had just broken his own record for oldest player to score a final-round goal, set less than 2 hours previous. He was 42 years and 172 days old at the time.
Detroit Red Wings - 2002 Stanley Cup Champions
- 2 Jiri Fischer
- 5 Nicklas Lidstrom (A. Capt.)
- 11 Mathieu Dandenault
- 24 Chris Chelios
- 27 Fredrik Olausson
- 28 Steve Duchesne
- 71 Jiri Slegr
- 32 Maxim Kuznetsov†
- 3 Jesse Wallin†
- 4 Uwe Krupp†
(played 2 playoff game)
- Mike Ilitch Sr. (Owner/President/Governor), Marian Ilitch (Owner/Secretary-Treasurer), Christopher Ilitch (Co-President of Ilitch Holdings)
- Denise Ilitch (Co-President of Ilitch Holdings/Alternate Governor), Ronald Ilitch, Michael Ititch Jr. (Minority Owners)
- Lisa Ilitch Murray, Atanas Ilitch, Carole Ilitch Trepeck (Minority Owners), Jim Devellano (Sr. Vice President)
- Ken Holland (General Manager), Jim Nill (Ass’t General Manager), William Scotty Bowman (Head Coach),
- Dave Lewis, Barry Smith(Associate Coaches)
- Jim Bedard (Goaltending Consultant), Joey Kocur (Video Coordinator), John Wharton (Athletic Therapist),
- Piet Van Zant (Ass’t Athletic Therapist), Paul Boyer (Equipment Manager)
- Paul MacDonald (Sr. Director of Finance), Nancy Beard (Executive Ass’t), Dan Belisle (Director of Scouting), Mark Howe (Scout)
- Bob McCammon, Hakan Andersson, Bruce Haralson (Scouts)
- Mark Leach, Joe McDonnell, Glenn Merkosky (Scouts)
- Tim Abbott† (Ass’t Equipment Manager), Sergie Tchekmarev† (Masseur), John Remejes† (Dressing Room Assistant), .
- †-Name not engraved on Stanley Cup, but included on the official team picture. Maxim Kuznetsov played in 39 games (2 less than the minimum), but was not dressed in the playoffs.
- Each NHL team is to dress 20 out a 23 team roster for each games. In 2002 only 22 players name were added to the Stanley Cup.
- ††Jason Elliot was called up from the minors to serve as a practice goalie for Detroit, during the playoffs. Elliot was awarded a Stanley Cup ring, and was included on the team picture. Jason Elliot never played in the NHL. He retired after 2006-07 season while playing in Germany.
- &-played both center and wing due to injuries on the team
Stanley Cup Engraving
- Manny Legace's name was misspelled MANNY LEGECE with an "E" instead of an "A". An "A" was stamped over the second "E" twice to correct this mistake.
- Steve Yzerman and Brendan Shanahan became the second and third players to win the Olympic Gold Medal in hockey (with team Canada) and the Stanley Cup (with Detroit) in the Same Year (See 1980 Ken Morrow)
- Chris Chelios and Brett Hull became the first players to win an Olympic Silver medal (with team United States) and the Stanley Cup (with Detroit) in the same year.