These events occured in 2002 in the world of hockey:
- Canada defeats the United States 5-2 to win the men's Olympic Gold Medal.
- Canada defeats the United States 3-2 to win the women's Olympic Gold Medal.
- World Hockey Championship
- Men's champion: Slovakia defeats Russia.
- Junior Men's champion: Russia defeats Canada.
- Women's champion: no tournament.
- Stanley Cup – Detroit Red Wings win 4 games to 1 over the Carolina Hurricanes.
- Art Ross Memorial Trophy as the NHL's leading scorer during the regular season: Jarome Iginla, Calgary Flames.
- Hart Memorial Trophy for the NHL's Most Valuable Player:
- José Théodore, Montreal Canadiens.
- May 10th: The Greenville Grrrowl win the Kelly Cup by defeating the Dayton Bombers 4 games to 0 in the Kelly Cup finals.
- September 11th: The East Coast Hockey League Board of Governors approves the membership applications of the Anchorage Aces, Bakersfield Condors, Fresno Falcons, Idaho Steelheads, Las Vegas Wranglers, Long Beach Ice Dogs, and the San Diego Gulls of the defunct West Coast Hockey League for the upcoming season. The league also takes over the expansion rights for teams that are to play in Ontario, California and Reno, Nevada, expanding the league to 40 members.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.