These events occured in 1992 in the world of hockey:
- Art Ross Memorial Trophy as the NHL's leading scorer during the regular season: Mario Lemieux, Pittsburgh Penguins
- Hart Memorial Trophy for the NHL's Most Valuable Player: Mark Messier, New York Rangers
- Stanley Cup – Pittsburgh Penguins won 4 games to 0 over the Chicago Blackhawks
- Conn Smythe Trophy – Mario Lemieux, Pittsburgh Penguins
- World Hockey Championship
- Men's champion: Sweden defeated Finland
- Junior Men's champion: Unified former USSR defeated Sweden
- Women's champion: Canada defeated the United States
April 1 - The NHL had their first work stoppage as NHL players went on strike. The strike lasted only 10 days and the rest of the regular season games were played.
September 23 - goaltender, Manon Rhéaume became the first woman to play in the National Hockey League during a pre-season game, and also the first woman ever to play in one of the Big Four Pro Sports.