These events occured in 1989 in the world of hockey:
- Art Ross Memorial Trophy as the NHL's leading scorer during the regular season: Mario Lemieux, Pittsburgh Penguins
- Hart Memorial Trophy for the NHL's Most Valuable Player: Wayne Gretzky, Los Angeles Kings
- Stanley Cup – Calgary Flames won 4 games to 2 over the Montreal Canadiens. The first and only time that the visiting team won the cup at the Montreal Forum against the Montreal Canadiens.
- World Hockey Championship
- Men's champion: Soviet Union defeated Canada
- Junior Men's champion: Soviet Union defeated Sweden
- April 12th: The Carolina Thunderbirds become the first Riley Cup champions by defeating the Johnstown Chiefs 4 games to 3.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.