|1981 WCHA Men's Ice Hockey Tournament|
|Dates||March 6–15, 1981|
|Finals site|| Student Ice Arena|
|Champions|| Michigan Tech† (9th title)|
Minnesota‡ (8th title)
|Winning coach|| John MacInnes (9th title)|
Brad Buetow (2nd title)
| WCHA Men's Ice Hockey Tournaments
The 1981 WCHA Men's Ice Hockey Tournament was the 22nd conference playoff in league history. The tournament was played between March 6 and March 15, 1981. All games were played at home team campus sites, including each of the two regional final series. By winning the regional tournaments, both Michigan Tech and Minnesota received automatic bids to the 1981 NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Tournament.
Though not official designations, Michigan Tech is considered as the East Regional Champion† and Minnesota as the West Regional Champion‡.
This was the final year that the WCHA crowned two teams as tournament champions. (as of 2014)
The top eight teams in the WCHA, according to their final conference standings, were eligible for the tournament and were seeded No. 1 through No. 8. In the first round the first and eighth seeds, the second and seventh seeds, the third and sixth seeds and the fourth and fifth seeds were matched in two-game series where the school that scored the higher number of goals was declared the winner. After the first round the remaining teams were reseeded No. 1 through No. 4 according to their final conference standings and advanced to the second round. In the second round the first and fourth seeds and the second and third seeds competed in an additional two-game, total goal series with the winners of each being declared as co-conference champions. The Tournament Champions each received automatic bids to the 1981 NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Tournament.
Note: GP = Games Played; W = Wins; L = Losses; T = Ties; PTS = Points; GF = Goals For; GA = Goals Against
|1980–81 Western Collegiate Hockey Association standings|
|Championship: Michigan Tech, Minnesota|
† indicates conference regular season champion
* indicates conference tournament champion
Teams are reseeded after the first round
|6||North Dakota||4||1||3||Michigan Tech||2||7|
Note: * denotes overtime period(s)
(1) Minnesota vs. (8) Minnesota-DuluthEdit
|March 7||Minnesota||5 – 1||Minnesota-Duluth||Williams Arena|
|March 8||Minnesota||5 – 7||Minnesota-Duluth||Williams Arena|
|Minnesota won series 10–8|
(2) Wisconsin vs. (7) Colorado CollegeEdit
|March 7||Wisconsin||8 – 2||Colorado College||Dane County Coliseum|
|March 8||Wisconsin||4 – 11||Colorado College||Dane County Coliseum|
|Colorado College won series 13–12|
(3) Michigan Tech vs. (6) North DakotaEdit
|March 6||Michigan Tech||7 – 4||North Dakota||Student Ice Arena|
|March 7||Michigan Tech||4 – 1||North Dakota||Student Ice Arena|
|Michigan Tech won series 11–5|
(4) Denver vs. (5) MichiganEdit
|March 6||Denver||2 – 5||Michigan||DU Arena|
|March 7||Denver||4 – 5||Michigan||DU Arena|
|Michigan won series 10–6|
(1) Minnesota vs. (7) Colorado CollegeEdit
|March 14||Minnesota||7 – 1||Colorado College||Williams Arena|
|March 15||Minnesota||7 – 9||Colorado College||Williams Arena|
|Minnesota won series 14–10|
(3) Michigan Tech vs. (5) MichiganEdit
|March 13||Michigan Tech||2 – 1||Michigan||Student Ice Arena|
|March 14||Michigan Tech||7 – 1||Michigan||Student Ice Arena|
|Michigan Tech won series 9–2|
- ↑ "Michigan Tech Men's Team History". Retrieved on 2014-06-01.
- ↑ "Minnesota Men's Team History". Retrieved on 2014-06-01.
- ↑ "John MacInnes Year-by-Year Coaching Record". Retrieved on 2014-06-01.
- ↑ "Brad Buetow Year-by-Year Coaching Record". Retrieved on 2014-06-01.
- ↑ "2009-10 WCHA Yearbook 113-128", WCHA. Retrieved on 2014-06-01.
- ↑ "2009-10 WCHA Yearbook 129-144", WCHA. Retrieved on 2014-06-01.
- 1980–81 WCHA Standings
- 1980–81 NCAA Standings
- 2013–14 Colorado College Tigers Media Guide
- 2013–14 Denver Pioneers Media Guide[dead link]
- 2013–14 Michigan Wolverines Media Guide; Through the Years
- 2013–14 Minnesota Golden Gophers Media Guide
- 2012–13 Minnesota-Duluth Bulldogs Media Guide
- 2013–14 North Dakota Hockey Media Guide
- 2003–04 Wisconsin Badgers Media Guide
|WCHA Men's Ice Hockey Tournaments (Champions)|
|1960 - 1961 - 1962 - 1963 - 1964 - 1965 - 1966 - 1967 - 1968 - 1969 - 1970 - 1971 - 1972 - 1973 - 1974 - 1975 - 1976 - 1977 - 1978 - 1979 - 1980 - 1981 - 1982 - 1983 - 1984 - 1985 - 1986 - 1987 - 1988 - 1989 - 1990 - 1991 - 1992 - 1993 - 1994 - 1995 - 1996 - 1997 - 1998 - 1999 - 2000 - 2001 - 2002 - 2003 - 2004 - 2005 - 2006 - 2007 - 2008 - 2009 - 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 - 2016 - 2017 - 2018 - 2019|
|1980–81 NCAA Division I men's ice hockey season|
|Conference||CCHA - ECAC - WCHA|
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at 1981 WCHA Men's Ice Hockey Tournament. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Ice Hockey Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|