These events occured in 1970 in the world of ice hockey:
- Art Ross Memorial Trophy - Bobby Orr becomes the first defenseman in the history of the National Hockey League to lead the league in scoring.
- Hart Memorial Trophy for the NHL's Most Valuable Player: Bobby Orr, Boston Bruins
- Stanley Cup – Boston Bruins win the Cup for the first time in 29 years, defeating the St. Louis Blues 4 games to 0. Defenseman, Bobby Orr is awarded the Conn Smythe Trophy as the series MVP (most valuable player).
- World Hockey Championship
- Men's champion: Soviet Union defeated Sweden
- NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Championship – Cornell University Big Red defeat Clarkson University Golden Knights 6-4 in Lake Placid, NY; only NCAA hockey team to complete season undefeated and untied (31-0)