|1960 WCHA Men's Ice Hockey Tournament|
|Dates||March 11-12, 1960|
|Finals site|| Dee Stadium|
|Champions|| Michigan Tech† (1st title)|
Denver‡ (1st title)
|Winning coach|| John MacInnes (1st title)|
Murray Armstrong (1st title)
| WCHA Men's Ice Hockey Tournaments
The 1960 WCHA Men's Ice Hockey Tournament was the 1st conference playoff in league history. Additionally it is the first conference tournament ever held for an American college ice hockey conference. The tournament was played between March 11 and March 12, 1960. All games were played at home team campus sites. By being declared as co-champions, both Michigan Tech and Denver were invited to participate in the 1960 NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Tournament.
Though not official designations, Michigan Tech is considered as the East Regional Champion† and Denver as the West Regional Champion‡.
The top four teams in the WCHA, based upon the conference regular season standings, were eligible for the tournament and were seeded No. 1 through No. 4. In the first round the first and fourth seeds and the second and third seeds were matched in two-game series where the team with the higher number of goals scored was declared the winner. Rather than decide upon a single tournament champion, the WCHA declared the winners of the two series as co-tournament champions.
Note: GP = Games Played; W = Wins; L = Losses; T = Ties; PCT = Winning Percentage; GF = Goals For; GA = Goals Against
|Championship: Michigan Tech, Denver|
† indicates conference regular season champion
* indicates conference tournament champion
Final rankings: USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine Top 15 Poll
Note: * denotes overtime period(s)
(1) Denver vs. (4) Colorado CollegeEdit
|March 11||Denver||9 – 2||Colorado College||DU Arena|
|March 12||Denver||3 – 1||Colorado College||DU Arena|
|Denver won series 12–3|
(2) Michigan Tech vs. (3) North DakotaEdit
|March 11||Michigan Tech||4 – 3||North Dakota||Dee Stadium|
|March 12||Michigan Tech||5 – 4||North Dakota||Dee Stadium|
|Michigan Tech won series 9–7|
- ↑ "Minnesota Men's Team History". Retrieved on 2014-06-01.
- ↑ "Denver Men's Team History". Retrieved on 2014-06-01.
- ↑ "John MacInnes Year-by-Year Coaching Record". Retrieved on 2014-06-01.
- ↑ "Murray Armstrong Year-by-Year Coaching Record". Retrieved on 2014-06-01.
- ↑ "2009-10 WCHA Yearbook 97-112", WCHA. Retrieved on 2014-06-01.
- ↑ "2009-10 WCHA Yearbook 129-144", WCHA. Retrieved on 2014-06-01.
- 1959–60 WCHA Standings
- 1959–60 NCAA Standings
- 2013–14 Colorado College Tigers Media Guide
- 2013–14 Denver Pioneers Media Guide
- 2013–14 North Dakota Hockey Media Guide
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at 1960 WCHA Men's Ice Hockey Tournament. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Ice Hockey Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|