These events occured in 1959 in the world of ice hockey:
- Art Ross Memorial Trophy as the NHL's leading scorer during the regular season: Dickie Moore, Montreal Canadiens
- Hart Memorial Trophy for the NHL's Most Valuable Player: Andy Bathgate, New York Rangers
- Stanley Cup – Montreal Canadiens win 4 games to 1 over the Toronto Maple Leafs
- World Hockey Championship
- Men's champion: Belleville McFarlands from Canada
- NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Championship - University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux defeat Michigan State University Spartans 4-3 in overtime in Troy, New York
- The Hershey Bears defeat the Buffalo Bisons 4 games to 2 to win the AHL Calder Cup.
- The Louisville Rebels defeat the Fort Wayne Komets 4 games to 2 to win the IHL Turner Cup.
On November 1, Montreal Canadiens goaltender Jacques Plante was injured when struck in the face by a flying puck. He offers to return to play on the condition that he wears his goalie mask. His example soon leads to the mask becoming standard equipment for goalies and a symbol of the game itself.