The 1897 Amateur Hockey Association of Canada season lasted from January 9 until March 6. Each team played 8 games, and Montreal Victorias were again first with a 7–1 record, retaining the Stanley Cup. The club won the Stanley Cup back from the Winnipeg Victorias prior to the season. This was their third-straight league championship.
- 1 Executive
- 2 Season
- 3 Stanley Cup challenges
- 4 Montreal Victorias 1897 Stanley Cup champions
- 5 Team Photos
- 6 Game Ads
- J. A. Findlay, Montreal (President)
- J. H. Dunbar, Quebec (1st. Vice-Pres.)
- W. C. Young, Ottawa (2nd. Vice-Pres.)
At the annual meeting on December 12, 1896, the secretary reported that the association had lost all of its records in a fire, except for its minutes.
- No more than a 15 minute delay during a game
- No raising the stick above the shoulder except for 'lifting.'
- Executives were given the power to suspend club or player for foul play.
- Protests of games had to be made within two days.
Clare McKerrow of Montreal HC set a new record with six goals in the opening game against Quebec on January 9.
|Team||Games Played||Wins||Losses||Ties||Goals For||Goals Against|
† Protested by Ottawa who scored the tying goal in last few seconds but the goal was disallowed by the referee. The protest was upheld and the game replayed.
‡ Replay of January 30 protested game.
|Swift, Arthur E.||Quebec||8||6|
Victorias vs. Winnipeg at Winnipeg
|Date||Winning Team||Score||Losing Team||Location|
|December 30, 1896||Montreal Victorias||6 – 5||Winnipeg Victorias||Granite Rink, Winnipeg|
|Gordon Lewis||G||George Merritt|
|Harold Henderson||P||Rod Flett|
|Mike Grant||CP||Charles Johnstone|
|Robert McDougall||F||Colin "Tote" Campbell|
|Grham Drinkwater||1||F||Jack Armitage||1|
|Shirley Davidson||2||F||Attie Howard||2|
|Ernest McLea||3||F||Dan Bain||2|
Referee - W. C. Young, Ottawa
Umpires - A. Shearer, Montreal; D. Clark, Winnipeg
- Robert Jones
- Gordon Lewis
W. Jack (President), Fred Meredith (Hon President), F.H. Wilson (Hon Vice President), P.M. Desterneak (Secretary/Treasurer), G.R. Hooper(Director).
Stanley Cup Engraving
- -- of --
- Winnipeg Feb 20th
- W. Jack(President), Fred Meredith (Hon. President), W. Grant (Vice President), F.H. Wilson (Hon. Vice President), P.M. Desterneck (Secretary/Treasurer)
Stanley Cup Champions
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at 1897 AHAC season. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Ice Hockey Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|