The 1893 Amateur Hockey Association of Canada season lasted from January 7 until March 17. The Montreal Hockey Club was the league and Canadian champion for the sixth season in a row and was awarded the Stanley Cup. They were the first winners of the Cup and did not have to challenge for it.
Executive[edit | edit source]
On December 15, 1892, the AHAC elected its officers for the season:
- President - F. M. S. Jenkins, Ottawa
- 1st Vice. Pres. - J. Crathern, Victorias
- 2nd Vice. Pres. - A. Laurie, Quebec
- Secretary-Treasurer - J. A. Findlay, Montreal
- Council - A. Ritchie, Crystals; G. Carpenter, Shamrocks; M. Costigan, McGill; A. Z. Palmer, Ottawa Rebels; J. Farwell, Sherbrooke
Season[edit | edit source]
Final Standing[edit | edit source]
|Team||Games Played||Wins||Losses||Ties||Goals For||Goals Against|
|Montreal Hockey Club|
|Ottawa Hockey Club|
|Quebec Hockey Club|
Results[edit | edit source]
† Game awarded to Montreal because Crystals refused to continue.
Championship[edit | edit source]
Montreal HC won the championship for placing first in the regular season. This was Montreal HC's third straight championship since the Championship Trophy was inaugurated in 1891. According to the terms for the trophy, Montreal HC was allowed to keep the Trophy. A new version was struck for following seasons. The version won by Montreal is on display in the collection of the Hockey Hall of Fame.
As champions of the AHAC, the Dominion Hockey Challenge Cup (known today as the Stanley Cup) was to be awarded to Montreal as its inaugural champion. On May 15, 1893, Sheriff John Sweetland finally presented the trophy to the MAAA president J. A. Taylor during the MAAA annual meeting. Each player received a souvenir gold ring as a gift of the MAAA. Disputes between the Montreal HC and the MAAA kept the Cup in the MAAA hands until it was accepted by the Club on February 23, 1894.
Player stats[edit | edit source]
Goalkeeper averages[edit | edit source]
Scoring leaders[edit | edit source]
Coleman(1966) pp. 9–10
Montreal Hockey Club 1893 Stanley Cup champions[edit | edit source]
- Allan Cameron(coverpoint)
- James Stewart(point - playing President)
- Harry Shaw (Manager/Secretary-Treasurer)
Stanley Cup Engraving
Game Ads[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
|Montreal Hockey Club
|Montreal Hockey Club
Stanley Cup Champions
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at 1893 AHAC season. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Ice Hockey Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|
- Senior Championship Trophy. Hockey Hall of Fame. Retrieved on 2008-09-30.
- "Governor-General's Cup. A Handsome Trophy Was Presented to the M.A.A.A. last night.", Montreal Gazette, May 16, 1893, p. 8.
- Diamond, p.14